Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Model Dwellings

Options
  • 03-03-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hi just came across the address "Model Dwellings" in a birth certificate. I believe this is somewhere in Cork City - does anyone know where this was/is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

If you gave a bit more information such as year of birth and the registration district from the top of the cert it might be easier to pin down.

The closest I can see in the city directories is a terrace in Gardiner's Hill, on the north side of the city, called Model Villas.

edit: Google maps shows Model Cottages, off Blarney Street, also north side of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Wyldwood wrote: »
    If you gave a bit more information such as year of birth and the registration district from the top of the cert it might be easier to pin down.

The closest I can see in the city directories is a terrace in Gardiner's Hill, on the north side of the city, called Model Villas.

edit: Google maps shows Model Cottages, off Blarney Street, also north side of city.
    Sorry, thanks for your reply. The birth was in 1882 and the District was "Cork No 3". I know by 1901 the family was in Blarney Street, so maybe the Model Cottages off Blarney St ties in with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I had a look in Guys but they are not listed

Model Cottages are shown on the 1897-1913 25" map of Cork on OSI.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The wonders of Google:
    There was a 'Cork Model Dwellings Association' for the erection of improved housing for the working classes - see Guys Almanac: http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1875-76citycountyguys/pages506to577/GuysAlmanac1875Pages536%20to%20541.pdf

It appears there was a movement for 'model dwellings' in Ireland and England in the late 19th century; in Dublin, the Dublin Artisans' Dwelling Company was quoted as developing over 3000 model dwellings in 30 years of building in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Cork no. 3 Registration District in 1875 Guys is North Centre and the district office address is at 385 Blarney Street so I'd be confident that the Model Cottages is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Thanks to you both for your help on this. I agree that the Model Cottages off Blarney St is likely the correct place. Interesting to see the various societies in Cork back then....

Advertisement