Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilthead bream

Options
  • 03-03-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

After reading this months sea angler i appear to have bream fever. i have never caught one before they look such good fun on light tackle!! i knoe im probably too far north but stuff it!! roll on the summer months ill give it a go see what happens! might get some nice flounder out of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

They turned up in a few estuarys in Waterford/Wexford last year. Not in huge numbers. I will be trying for them myself this year. Nice to catch something different

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

apparent talk of them around dingle ill go out and cast a line at the local beaches. good flattie and bass marks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

I've caught a few of them in West Cork on both lug worm and crab. Brilliant fun and great fighters so will hopefully be targeting them again but need some warmer weather than what we are getting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Caribs wrote: »
    I've caught a few of them in West Cork on both lug worm and crab. Brilliant fun and great fighters so will hopefully be targeting them again but need some warmer weather than what we are getting at the moment.

what set up you use? and what type of venue? off the rocks, pier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

SeaFields wrote: »

Ive fished for them a few times. Right spot, right baits etc but never got one. Crab seems the best bait but plenty get caught on lug.
    Standard flounder/bass gear will do. Their frequently caught in estuaries so fishing as light as the flow will allow is the norm. Theres usually good flounder to be had as a bye catch so not getting a gilty can still produce a good days fishing.
    Most estuaries in west cork get hammered in lettuce weed during the warmer months so slack tides over low water are usually best to give yourself a chance to avoid spending the day cleaning your lines and rigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

SeaFields wrote: »

Not sure that this is going to be helpful and you'll guess my level of experience/knowledge but it was a really basic set up. Just the lead weight attached to the swivel and about a yard of line off the swivel to the hook so it would be free to move around a bit in the tide.

Caught the first one off the rocks into a sandy bay and next onto the same area but off the beach. Have caught flounder on the same set up so for an amateur like myself it was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I got to know Jeremy coleman who got the massive specimen in dingle, he was just fishing for bass and they shoaled into a beach near ventry...

I think they are a species that will be caught more and more in the south due to different currants and weather patterns, most likely to do with global warming, seen an article of a great white traveling very far up the atlantic so this in proves the point more and more...

Advertisement