Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1871 Census query..

Options
  • 03-03-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I know that the 1871 Census records were destroyed but who holds the original list of the heads of household as seen here on Connors Genealogy?

There are 3 x Philip Purcells listed in one townland and I can figure out 2 of them but the 3rd should mean that Philip who married in 1810 was still alive or a grandson who was only 16 years old (unmarried) was living in a separate house. The 1st possibility is the most likely, however the only death record that would be close is the following one. But then his age is c15 years too young.

Philip Purcell
    Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958
    birth: 1805
    death: 1877 Tipperary, Ireland

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The person who provided the transcripts doesn't give much other information but I'd say you could contact her easily enough: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CoTipperary/2012-02/1329837915

I would suspect this is a private/religious census rather than the actual 1871 census, particularly as its referred to as "1870/1871" in the original posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

suspect those details are from a rent book or similar rather than an actual census. There's also an 1870/1871 rate book for Clanwilliam barony "Co. Limerick" mentioned on the NLI source list. (not sure if the barony extends into two counties, or there are two Clanwilliam baronies)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Shane, yes Clanwilliam includes West Tipp & East Limerick parishes.
    That is more likely the reason for the 3rd Philip - he had 2 holdings.
    Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Janet is a very nice person, our ancestry is connected waaay back, never met but corresponded about 15 years ago, when she gave me some good and helpful info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement