Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invasive ultrasound on testicles

Options
  • 03-03-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this one. Mods feel freee to move if not applicable here

I had reason to have an ultrasound on my testicles last week.
    This was the fourth such scan in the past 6 months and 4 different radiographers.
    I had no bother with the first 3 scans and in fact one of them lasted an hour as the consultant had to be called upon to give a second opinion.

However the scan last week has left me in a distressed state of mind. As with all scans I relaxed and let the radiographer get on with his job. The radiographer covered my dodger with some paper and applied the gel to the scrotum.

However after 20 minutes i felt this urge to ejaculate and when i reached down it was this I realised I had an erection and I ejaculated there and then. I never realised I had had the erection and what an embarrassing moment this was. the Dr. continued on applying the probe to my scrotum as if nothing had happened and when the scan was over 10 minutes later he just asked me if i wanted more paper to clean myself and left the room.

I am now wondering what was different in this scan and the previous ones. The one thing I did notice is that the Dr. did not use as much gel as in the previous scans and the probe was generating more heat as it stroked the scrotum. This was what caused the erection but was it me or did the dr. deliberately cause this to happen. Needless to say I left the hospital in a distressed state and I still cant fathom what happened. What do you guys think???

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Why did the ultrasound take that long? I got a scan done and it was 10 mins tops.

I'd write it off as one of those things, docs have seen everything

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not worried about the embarrassment of it but in some small way I'm beginning to feel abused. After having 3 of these scans over the past few months I had no issues going for another scan but I have to say I felt a bit uneasy during this one. I will have to go for another one of these in 2 months and if its the same dr. I will be refusing to be seen by him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

If I was in this position, either calling or emailing the Doctor or consultant involved would be the first thing to do. Asking for an explanation as to why this occurred and if it was a random occurrence or is expected for a certain percentage of patients, hence the passiveness of the radiographer. If it can put you at ease, then seek some professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mikros

Not that I'm remotely suggesting relying on Google for anything medical related but a very quick search shows up many similar stories, questions and concerns. From my reading it seems a pretty big leap to suggest there was anything deliberate about the Doctor's actions - if anything he seemed to have remained professional at all times in what in fairness must have been rather embarrassing situation. As was said above I'm sure they have seen it all before. However if you are feeling that uncomfortable maybe a quick call to the Doctor to put your mind at ease would be an idea - don't let it fester in your head anyway. Their job is to put you at ease and explain all aspects of any procedure that you might have a question about, even the awkward ones.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies. The thing is that I had no issues with the previous 3 scans but I have to say I did feel uncomfortable with this particular doctor. Now I'm big and old enough to be able to handle the situation but I would have a particular worry for younger lads in similiar situations. I know doctors differ in their methods of work but I felt that there was too much of a difference in this doctors approach to carrying out the scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You may be robosexual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I think you need to realise that the medical professional may not be at fault. How were you not aware that you had an erection?

rosknight wrote: »
    Its over 5 weeks since this incident and i still cannot get it out of my mind. I feel that when the radiographer seen me aroused he kept probing until I released. As stated previously I had similiar scans done in the past year and none were as uncomfortable or invasive as this one. I'm seriously thinking of writing to the hospital with a complaint. What do yous think???

I think it's easy to back-think situations, and in your case if you didn't realise you were erect you could be constructing theories about how this could occur and it's natural to question it. It seems really, really common though, so it's unlikely to be anything other than just one of those things. It's understandable that you'd be uncomfortable enough with the situation to think through various explanations.

Some investigations have to be much more detailed and take longer. If the radiographer was as professional as it sounds - made no remarks and ignored the situation - it seems unlikely it was an abusive situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ppony

You have a right to trust your intuition that something happened that was wrong. This experience has clearly left you extremely uncomfortable.
    At the very least you deserve support as you process your feelings and thoughts about what happened.
    I think you've been brave in speaking out here. A lot of us would just push it away or not even be able to entertain the thought that they'd been abused at all. Hell, a lot of people can't even entertain the thought of another man being abused. It takes real courage to address what's happened and to call it for what it is and I really respect that.
    I'm sorry that you've had such a disturbing experience.
    Other posters have said that since the doctor said nothing that somehow is proof that he's a professional - frankly - this is proof of nothing. Bullies and abusers cover their tracks and use the confusion, shock and disbelief that their actions create to ensure that silence is maintained around their acts.
    This is my first time posting to boards. I just signed up to offer you some support and let you know you're not alone.
    I personally went through a similar experience in a Dublin public hospital. I just knew that something wasn't sitting right with me about how I'd been treated by one of the doctors in there. I talked through it with a friend and then decided to report the matter to the complaints department of the hospital via email. I was contacted back straight away and I was glad that I had spoken out and trusted my instinct. I felt either the doctor in question was astoundingly ignorant of personal boundaries and was acting in innocence or he was a little sh*t who thought he would brighten up his day by groping a vulnerable patient. Either way I felt he should know that his actions had a negative impact on a patient he'd seen and I wanted to make my complaint known to the people who were employing him. The people I dealt with in the hospital while making the complaint were appreciative of my taking the trouble to contact them and they were very respectful.
    I would recommend that you contact the complaints department of your hospital and let them know what happened. You may not be the only person who is filing a complaint against this particular doctor.

• Advertisement

Thanks ppony for your kind post, I am going to take your advice and send in an email to the complaints dept. I still feel utterly betrayed when I think of the last scan. I will have to go back for another scan next month and I would just refuse to have it done if the same radiographer was on duty.
    I have attended the consultant/ultrasound dept on at least 7 occasions in the past 6 months for testicular issues and having never felt nervous or apprehensive about same I am now dreading my next appointment.

To answer another post up above, when attending these ultrasounds I just switch off and relax, I honestly did not feel having an erection until it was too late but the more I think on it the more I do realise that this particular ultrasound was not normal and took far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DrAngry

Poster this happens sometimes. The doctor didn't react because it's probably happened so many times it doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Do you feel the situation could have been entirely fixed, and you wouldn't be as distressed, if the doctor explained that, that happens sometimes and it was nothing to be embarrassed about?

Any concerns beyond that should, of course, be raised with the hospital though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I am really, really, confused. I've had the same ultrasound done and the gel used wasn't numbing in any way, so I'm really struggling to understand how you didn't realise you had an erection?

But anyway, as someone else said, this kind of thing happens often. I realise you're embarrassed but try not to let that embarrassment influence how you handle this, because it sounds to me like you're accusing this radiographer of purposely making you ejaculate. That's a VERY serious accusation to be sending off to his employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I had a circumcision in my early 20s, a double lower abdomen hernia surgery and recently an ultrasound on a possible sports hernia.

The atmosphere couldn't be less sexually charged. Your genitalia is viewed how a plumber views a u-bend in my experience.

The OPs experience is at odds to anything I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

ballroll wrote: »
    Thanks ppony for your kind post, I am going to take your advice and send in an email to the complaints dept. I still feel utterly betrayed when I think of the last scan. I will have to go back for another scan next month and I would just refuse to have it done if the same radiographer was on duty.
    I have attended the consultant/ultrasound dept on at least 7 occasions in the past 6 months for testicular issues and having never felt nervous or apprehensive about same I am now dreading my next appointment.

To answer another post up above, when attending these ultrasounds I just switch off and relax, I honestly did not feel having an erection until it was too late but the more I think on it the more I do realise that this particular ultrasound was not normal and took far too long.

Why do you decide to complain when one person says the doctors wrong? Not being smart but are you looking for advice or someone to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

If you have gone ahead and sent and 'email to the compaints department' then I think you have handled this badly.

Why would you not seek factual clarification instead from the department in question, or though this person's superior, etc? You could at least go to the trouble of gathering this information first, rather than making a complaint.

Advertisement