Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value for money wide angle lens????

Options
  • 02-03-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I'm Pretty new to the Dslr world but quickly learning....

Iv got a Canon 700D with canon 24-105 mm and the 50 mm 1.8 nifty 50 lens..
    Id like to add a decent wide angle lens and maybe a good zoom lens which gets to at least 300 mm as i love landscape and wildlife photography also...

Not looking for top of the range just something that will do the job thats not over expensive...brand of lens doesn't matter either...

Love to hear what ye more experienced photographers recommend!

Thanks
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

a sigma 10-20mm lens is brilliant for wide angle. i'm actually selling mine on adverts right now. (i sold my crop body & can't use it on my full frame body) :o
    it's my second sigma 10-20mm i've had, as the first one was for a nikon body. super wide, and not too massive or heavy for traveling.

11305976523_022399096e_z.jpg
    low winter sun by jbredrebel, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollyfielder01

Great shot....how much does that lens sell for??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Great shot....how much does that lens sell for??

here i've seen them 450-500 new, or 300-350 second hand, depending on body/age/condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I love me my Canon 10-22mm
    Buying a wide angle lens opens up a whole new area of photography and teaches you so much.

Cheers guys...tried a 10-20mm in the shop today and was taking aback a bit as to how wide they go....my next purchase definatly i think,No rush on a zoom lens yet...thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Cheers guys...tried a 10-20mm in the shop today and was taking aback a bit as to how wide they go....my next purchase definatly i think,No rush on a zoom lens yet...thanks everyone!

Got a brand new one for 400 in camera centre at the end of jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

I am heading to New York on Friday, I had no intentions of buying new gear until I looked at this thread::(

So then I looked at B+H website and saw this: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLRs for $429 or this:

Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom Lens For Nikon DSLR Cameras for $499.

Anybody any advice which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Logie-1 - no advice on that exact lens, but my last trip was NY and I used my 10-22 heavily there. Would have been lost without it.
    Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Just to follow up on my last post, I bought a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, I haven't used it much yet, so I can't give any reports. Got it for $570 (£340 or €410).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭denismc

I have the Tokina 11-16, absolutely love it, great for landscape but you can do some funky portraits with it as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone....the most common one seems to be the sigma 10-20mm so il probably end up going with that id reckon...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mike.Za

I wouldnt necessarily buy most common denominator.

I shopped around for months on the same thing and I went with the Tokina.

The Sigma being its nearest competitor is simply not as sharp and not as easy to correct in post. Dont get me wrong, the sigma is a great lens but in terms of "best value for money" the tokina is better than any brand wide angle (and its third party!!!) The sigma is cheaper but does not perform as well.

I think the influx in Sigmas is its a common lens for the Dublin shops to sell (easy to shift) the Tokina performs better though

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

Dont buy based on popularity is my tip ;)

Advertisement