Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Time Modder - First Time 360 Modder

• 02-03-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I pretty much hack everything and anything I own but I gave up modding consoles in 2006. My last xbox mod (until recently) was an original 1.6 with an xecuter 3 chip, and it sat in a cupboard until I dug it out a few weeks ago and decided to install coinops on it... then I realised I had 2 unused (brand new) original xboxes and a spare xecuter 3, so I softmodded one and chipped the other, and now I have 3 wonderful doorstops that I'll probably never use... but it was fun doing it.

Anyway... I also came across a Xenon 360, so I did a bit of research and set about dumping the NAND.

I wasn't going spending on a Nand-X, because it was an unjustifiable expense, as I haven't used an xbox for years but I had an old PC with an LPT port and decided to have a bash at it with NandPro... but I failed... the LPT port wasn't doing its thing, so, not to be beaten, I did a bit more research, and I happened to have a bucket of Microchips lying around, so I decided to have a go at building a USB flasher.

Anyway... long story short... I managed to dump the NAND and mod the box, and it's now running unsigned code like a boss :D

A few pictures of the install... I know the flashing process is (hopefully) a one-time thing, and the RS232 flashing port wasn't necessary but I like to complicate matters :cool:

SPI flasher from a Microchip 18f2550

SPI-flasher.jpg

RS232 connection to box

xbox4.jpg

Internals... (I decided on a removable solution... just in case)

xbox2.jpg

And the JTAG with pin headers... (the red shrink tubing was added as a direction indicator for the switching diodes)

xbox3.jpg

It all worked out nicely... I took 4 NAND dumps and they all compared with no errors.

It's now happily running Freestyle and I'm just keeping an eye on the temps after reseating the sinks with decent paste, and although it was a bit of a mission, I did enjoy it :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

Just to add... Freestyle is excellent!

I've just ordered a 500 gig HDD to replace the 20 gig thing... It'll save me swapping discs if I ever decide to use it again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That's a nice job on the RS232 and custom flasher, very neat job - can't believe you had all those components just lying around :pac:

Welcome to JTAG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very sweet job there, well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's a very neat job you done, but if it's an xenon I don't know how long it will last.(If you plan on playing on it for long periods).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

That's a nice job on the RS232 and custom flasher, very neat job - can't believe you had all those components just lying around :pac:

Welcome to JTAG

Cheers... I started messing with electronics last year, and I got a bit OCD and bought a load of gear. I knew it would come in handy at some stage :D
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Very sweet job there, well done :)

Thanks... appreciated ;)
    That's a very neat job you done, but if it's an xenon I don't know how long it will last.(If you plan on playing on it for long periods).

Cheers... but to be honest, I probably won't be playing it very often. I do most of my gaming on the PC, and the JTAG job was just a challenge to see if I could do it, and something to do with the box, rather than let it sit there.

I also have an Elite here but I haven't opened it yet. I might have a look at it but I don't want to spend any money on it, so it'll probably stay as it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement