Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Resources (Examples and Solutions)

Options
  • 01-03-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm giving grinds to someone who has decided to study for repeating leaving higher level maths pretty much at the last minute (from now until June - 90 days) in order to gain access into a course he does not have the maths requirements (HC3) for presently.

I myself have a maths BA degree but I am very busy at the moment but although I could theoretically teach him the whole course, I can only dedicate so many hours due to time constraints. Due to his financial constraints, I would like him to focus on self learning rather than going to other help.

Can anyone please recommend any resources which would be best used to teach yourself honors maths? The problems that I have with the leaving cert textbooks is that I find that the theory is explained well but only a few examples/applications are provided (which is usually the most important part for the exam) and very often the exercise questions can be discouraging to practice if you dont have enough examples/answers to help you see where you're stuck on a question.

Ideally I would like to get a solutions textbook for one of the leaving cert books (if these even exist). Otherwise any recommendations for good mathematics books at around around leaving cert level with plenty of examples would be appreciated. I have good relations with my previous secondary school so maybe they could help me with this.

Finally I believe he can do it. I was in the exact same situation a number of years ago and I managed to just achieve what I needed to get through. He has 3 full months to study for it and he is not working at the moment. If he has good learning resources and the ability and motivation to teach himself he will be fine. He is a very smart guy, I have no doubt about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

If its sample questions and answers you are looking for, which obviously need to be very exam focused at this stage

www.examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

seavill wrote: »
    If its sample questions and answers you are looking for, which obviously need to be very exam focused at this stage

www.examinations.ie

While all past papers and marking schemes are available on www.examinations.ie, the marking schemes don't always explain the solutions very well. www.studentxpress.ie does this quite well I think but obviously as this is a new course, there is not a lot of past papers to choose from.

Active Maths (Folens) and Text and Tests (Celtic Press) have worked solutions for all exercises in their textbooks for teachers but you'd obviously have to ask a teacher you know to give you those.

Another site I found recently was www.alison.com. It has video tutorials on leaving cert topics but I'm not sure how comprehensive it is.

Advertisement