Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing timber for mantels

Options
  • 01-03-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys,i am sourcing timber(oak,douglas fir,pitch pine etc) to make mantels,have a workshop and would like to start making these mantels myself,dont know where to source timber and how much these logs cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Logs? You do mean kiln dried timber? Otherwise have a look at green construction techniques before sourcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Costykris

Reader1937 wrote: »
    Logs? You do mean kiln dried timber? Otherwise have a look at green construction techniques before sourcing.

To be honest im new to this,do mantels have to be kiln dried?would i be better of getting a sawmill to cut logs for mantels for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Stable timber will not warp, split, shake, etc. A green log could rip itself off a mantle setting. Stable timber will behave itself - specially necessary in a hot/cold area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Costykris wrote: »
    Hey guys,i am sourcing timber(oak,douglas fir,pitch pine etc) to make mantels,have a workshop and would like to start making these mantels myself,dont know where to source timber and how much these logs cost?

New railway sleepers are available - they are untreated and about 8 x 12 " - have a look.

Advertisement