Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Training

Options
  • 01-03-2014 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi guys im looking for advice on weight training to help with my swimming,what type of weight training should I be doing,upper body and legs or just upper body? and light or heavy weights?Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Hmmm, this can be tricky. The main thing is to work on your core. Plank, Turkish get ups are meant to be great as it's an all rounder. Checkout youtube if your not familiar with it. There are many workouts also like, Bent over rows, tricep dips(killers), push ups, squats, the list is endless.

The main thing also I suppose if your doing weights make sure you don't bulk up but tone your muscles as bulk is not good for a swimmer. More muscle means more weight plus more energy.

I got a book awhile back called "swimming, serious about your sport" at back there is a good few workout programmes for land based training.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1847737811/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1393700159&sr=8-1&keywords=Swimming+serious+about+your+sport&condition=new

Oh forgot to add.

Believe it or not, more and more top athletes are doing yoga, it's great for core, strength and flexibility which is great and aids with less injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Wont be able to fit in the yoga but will give the rest a go and will pick up a copy of the book,thanks for the reply much appreciated.

Some serious core workouts here also. Mostly Pilates moves in it and a couple of yoga stances in there also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovlri8nrSE

Bloody knackered just looking at them doing it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Bloody knackered just thinking about them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I find kettlebell workouts excellent for core and all-over strength.
    done at the right intensity, it can be a good aerobic workout too.

Advertisement