Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht for 17 year old too old??

Options
  • 01-03-2014 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Heeey well I never got the opportunity to go to the gaeltacht when I was younger and I really wanna go now :/ I feel like I'm far too old though and my Irish is not near up to standard to be a cuinntor :/ Any thoughts on this is it even too late to be applying? Any gaeltachts where older groups go?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

If you go to any Gaeltacht you will find 17/18 year olds there, don't worry! Now I'm not plugging any Gaeltacht in particular *coughSpleodarcough* but they do courses for TY/5th years and I think Leitir Meallain in August (?) is still free.
    No matter if the only Irish you have is 'Dia duit' you will come back with a vast improvement/grasp in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi I would recommend Coláiste na bhFiann as I went there myself and I found a huge improvement in my Irish skills. Course was very well run and organised as there were cinnirí with every group to make sure that nobody was speaking in English. I would recommend their A courses as they are focused more towards Leaving Cert. There usually are 4 classes in the morning (very different to school!) followed by lunch and afternoon activities. Also there were ceilis in the evening. Well worth the money and the three weeks!! Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Heeey well I never got the opportunity to go to the gaeltacht when I was younger and I really wanna go now :/ I feel like I'm far too old though and my Irish is not near up to standard to be a cuinntor :/ Any thoughts on this is it even too late to be applying? Any gaeltachts where older groups go?? Thanks

Don't worry I was 18 last summer when I went and i was just a regular student! It doesn't matter really, it's not that important when you get there! Colaiste Lurgan does a course in August for 2 weeks just for 5th and 6th years, that's where I went and it was brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

+1 to Lurgan, I did that course just before I went into 6th year and I was only a few months off 18. I'd never been to the gaeltacht and I wanted to go before it was too late really. Had a ball, and was raging I didn't go every year of secondary to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I'm pretty sure RNF have a course for 5th years. Not 100% sure though

• Advertisement
Advertisement