Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contracts getting longer

Options
  • 01-03-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I'm due an upgrade soon.
    Over the last few years I've always gone for 12 month contracts with meteor

Seems there gone now and from this month on the only options will be 24 month contracts. The thought of been forced to have the same phone for 2 year is frightening.

Unless I'm missing something it seems o2 are the only company to offer 12months now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The OH has a 3 year contract with meteor for a Sony Z1
    Certainly wouldn't find having the same phone for 2+ years frightening ,

Unless there was a major huge jump in technology currently been used ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

3 year contract? I believe the maximum length of a phone contract is 24 months per an EU directive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

deckie27 wrote: »
    I'm due an upgrade soon.
    Over the last few years I've always gone for 12 month contracts with meteor

Seems there gone now and from this month on the only options will be 24 month contracts. The thought of been forced to have the same phone for 2 year is frightening.

Unless I'm missing something it seems o2 are the only company to offer 12months now.

O2 are the only ones to do a 6 or 12 month contract now, but you are paying a lot more up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭GIMP

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there was a piece of EU consumer law stating operators have to offer 12 month contracts?
    Looking at any operators websites its difficult to find such 12 month offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

GIMP wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there was a piece of EU consumer law stating operators have to offer 12 month contracts?
    Looking at any operators websites its difficult to find such 12 month offers.

12 months need to be offered, but nowhere does it say they have to be smart phones. Most networks do offer 12 month contracts for non smart phones, o2 is the exception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Much better off buying the phones sim free. It's what I will be doing in future. The contracts on offer are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

lertsnim wrote: »
    Much better off buying the phones sim free. It's what I will be doing in future. The contracts on offer are ridiculous

+1 for sure. Maybe it's my age but I don't get those who seem to think that there only Samsung, HTC and Apple phones out there :confused:. There are plenty of decent lesser known branded phones that do as much as the top end phones but cost a third or half the price. Move to a SIM only package and get one of those phones SIM free. Far better deal in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I have 2 contracts (wife and myself), both wit Meteor.

Mine is 18months, hers is 12. Every year they try and convince me to put her onto an 18/24 month contract, every year i refuse, and every year she gets a new smartphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Almost certain three were offering 12 and 18 month contracts when I bought my current phone in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sonics2k wrote: »
    O2 are the only ones to do a 6 or 12 month contract now, but you are paying a lot more up front.

exactly you can buy some phones cheaper sim free if you shop around. Considering how bad 02 are with updates its probably the best route to take

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Gatling wrote: »
    The OH has a 3 year contract with meteor for a Sony Z1

Unless there was a major huge jump in technology currently been used ,

What happens is your fav apps will demand a version of the os your phone doesn't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

[quote="Gatling;89247The OH has a 3 year contract with meteor for a Sony Z1

Unless there was a major huge jump in technology currently been used ,[/quote]

Who wants to be locked into a 3 year contract?
    What if you lose the ophone or drop it in the jacks after 2 months? You still need to pay for the phone company for the next 3 years.

I'm on a legacy 12 month contract from Meteor and even at that I'm considering scrapping the contract and going sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

scudzilla wrote: »

Mine is 18months, hers is 12. Every year they try and convince me to put her onto an 18/24 month contract, every year i refuse, and every year she gets a new smartphone

Not anymore.

12 months are gone.

With meteor you used to be able to get a top drawer smart phone over a year including 200 mins/texts and 1gb data. For the price of the phone Sim free plus 10-15 euro a month

The same now costs the price of the phone Sim free plus 20-25 a month for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I was on the eircom emobile unlimited deal for 34.5 for the past 18 months. Got the htc one x, and it stopped charging recently * wouldnt even power up. Anyways I got it repaired and I am going to cancel and go sim free with the tesco mobile payg deal 15 euros for unlimited calls texts and 1gb of data! the offset of the money i will save will pay for a new phone every year if I so decide. Given its less then 150 euros for the year * clubcard customer * I nearly have an extra 240 euros per year I can afford it. That emobile deal was the longest I ever had and it will also be the longest I ever will have. payg for me now. With the Jiayu G4 advanced from china I will have a top of the range phone and should I want to change next year I can.

Cheers Daytob got me thinking and looking else where

Holy moley. Tesco
    12 month Sim only
    €10.00per month
    300 any network minutes
    300 any network texts
    1GB monthly data

That would save me €600 ish a year. About the cost of a nice phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Holy moley. Tesco
    12 month Sim only
    €10.00per month
    300 any network minutes
    300 any network texts
    1GB monthly data

Where did you see that deal?

Where did you see that deal?

http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/pay-monthly-plans.aspx?f=1

Click on the 12 month tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

EMobile and Meteor SIM Only plans are ~€30 per month with unlimited texts and data - zero contract. Buy a Moto G for €149 and you are laughing (convinced the missus to do this coming from her 2 year, €60 per month 500 mins / texts and 1GB contract in which her iPhone broke half way through and left her stuck).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

lertsnim wrote: »

Or looking for bargains and then unlocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Holy moley. Tesco
    12 month Sim only
    €10.00per month
    300 any network minutes
    300 any network texts
    1GB monthly data

Did you see the payg deal? its 20 euros a month , or 15 if you are a clubcard customer, calls, and for your 15 credit you can get unlimited texts and 1gb of data, much cheaper than your deal when you consider that each time you get 5 euros worth of clubcard vouchers you can triple it to get your 15 euro clubcard voucher so effectively you might only pay
    8 x 15 euros
    and your 4 x clubcard vouchers of 5 euros
    you might never use unlimited calls and texts but its handy to know that you wont use them up.

as per link, when you top up by 20 euros * or 15 if you are clubcard voucher
    you opt into the unlimited calls you still have your credit left.
    unlimited texts you buy for 10 euros credit
    leaving you 5 euros credit
    1gb of data is 5 euros credit

http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/conductyourplan.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

scudzilla wrote: »

I have a 12 month contract for last 7 year or so was getting usual every year when upgrading this plan is better ect but I refused to change plan and still got a decent phone.
    This year went in Samsung S4 costs €29 euro on the €49 per month plan same as my old plan.
    Asked how much would it be to stay on my current plan €469 for the phone. Asked why it was so much because my plan was so old (Talk and text 300) meteor won't reduce the price much for older plans anymore (including smart plans)

Advertisement