Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling from inside a pub

Options
  • 01-03-2014 10:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have an option to sell clothes one day a week in a pub in the local village. Theres no clothes shops in the surrounding area. Would I need a market traders licence?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Interesting question. Would have thought you only needed the business owners permission, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's a pub in Dublin, near the Ha'penny Bridge, that has an indoor market, with people selling all sorts of things, at the weekend.

I don't believe there's anything in a 7 day/publicans license that prevents you from selling other goods. Think of all those old Irish pubs with grocery/hardware shops under the same roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Maybe im wrong but i think a market traders licence is only needed if selling in a public place, not a private premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

no licence needed and there's no issue for the pub either as its an ancillary business and not the primary business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There's a pub in Dublin, near the Ha'penny Bridge, that has an indoor market, with people selling all sorts of things, at the weekend.

I don't believe there's anything in a 7 day/publicans license that prevents you from selling other goods. Think of all those old Irish pubs with grocery/hardware shops under the same roof.

That would be the Grand Social Ha'penny flea market. Great little market especially around Christmas. Most of them are just weekend traders selling their home made stuff doubt they have much official stuff going on!

http://www.thegrandsocial.ie/event/hapenny-flea-market-2/2015-01-24/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭joegdoyle

Would you need a license to sell in a parish or community hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

joegdoyle wrote: »

For clothes, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

joegdoyle wrote: »

I would expect the competition to complain and argue that commercial rates should be applied though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭joegdoyle

relaxed wrote: »
    I would expect the competition to complain and argue that commercial rates should be applied though.

the village where I would be selling has no womens clothes stores & I would only be looking to sell one day a week/fortnight so theres no competition.

Advertisement