Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike fitting service at Wheelworx

Options
  • 28-02-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Any one get a road bike fitting done at Wheelworx in Liffey Valley?

Would you recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Onefortysix

Yes and yes. Wasn't initial hadn't had one in a few years.

Sound guy doing it. Very happy with results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yes and yes. Wasn't initial hadn't had one in a few years.

Sound guy doing it. Very happy with results.

How does it work/what costs are involved?

Didn't buy the bike there. Was just using the service as a stand alone fitting.

Had recently upgraded shoes and self installed cleats and was getting knee pain on longer spins.

Rang up booked. €90. Welcome back for tune ups after. Knee is now fine and stem is lower so I feel cooler. And that's the most important. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

Onefortysix

Did you get this done recently?

How was the initial assessment done - was it done with a pen and paper, tape measure etc. Think I read somewhere that you can get a fitting done which entails computers, videos etc.

Apart from the pain being sorted, did you find the fitting beneficial in terms of average speed, hill climbing general comfort on the bike etc.

Did you go back for a follow-up session?

GH

Had it done in the run up to Christmas.

It was all done visually. No tape measure or computers. The bike had been set up with a measuring tape when I had the initial fit when I bought it.

I'd had the bike 4 years. It's the same, my body isn't. Have been using it more and more and pushing out the distance/time as training for the W200. Wanted a slightly more aggressive position, a cure for knee pain and a general "health check" of my body position on the bike.

I've certainly got a little faster/stronger but I'm pretty sure that's down to the increased training I'm doing. The fit was done to ensure that with the increased training I didn't pick up injuries.

Have not had to return for a tune up but was left in no doubt that I'd be welcome if needed.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It was all done visually. No tape measure or computers.

Can a visual fit be trusted at all? How about cleat angles and such?

I have no idea to be honest. Not an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I hope they are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Should still have a tape measure and tool for knee angles etc. base2race is the place to go. Dom is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

+1 for Dom in Base 2 Race. Aidan Hammond is also very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Craig06 wrote: »
    Should still have a tape measure and tool for knee angles etc. base2race is the place to go. Dom is excellent.

Where are they based?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Aidan Ryan @ UCD bikeshop did my fitting, very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

Had a fitting recently with Martin in Think Bike Rathmines. Highly recommend. Went from hybrid to first road bike. Bike feels perfect after fitting, racking up the miles over the past few weeks and no pain (at least not from the bike more to do with a spot of black ice!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I had the free bike fit done in Wheelworx in 2010 when I bought a bike off them. To be honest I would not pay for what they did.
    Its very much a visual set up, except for the plumb line he used to check that my knee was above the pedal spindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Base2race are in fashion city in ballymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 snc

Hi all,
    I had a bike fitting done with Aidan Hammond yesterday and found him very professional. He has the full set up with the alignment tools/software so you can see videos of yourself before and after the fitting is done to see what changes he has made and how the angles improve etc. He's a Physical Therapist too so at the start he checked my hip alignment, arches in feet, IT band tightness and stuff like that.
    Turns out the frame of my racer is two sizes too small (bought in Wheelwork 3 years ago), i was completely hunched on the bike so he gave me a longer stem to help with the pain I was having in my shoulder and adjusted my cleats (only progressed to the shoes at Christmas) to alleviate some knee pain I was having. He's €120 for about 1hr 20 mins but well worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Cheers snc
    I'm booked in for a fitting with him next week. Seems to be a good system he has.

Advertisement