Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking flights but passport needs renewal in few months

Options
  • 28-02-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, haven't a clue where to even search for this query so I'm starting a new thread....... feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong place!!!

I'm about to book flights to US and my husbands passport is due to expire in a few months. We are getting it renewed but they are looking for a passport number to book the flights. My question is...... will his new passport have the same number as his old one??

I'm keen to book these flights as they are pretty reasonable and I'm afraid to leave it to late to book. (Dub to LA in June for E548).

Am I safe to go ahead and book it.

Also our ESTA has renewed last year so we can use it this year........ passport number on that is also his old number........ will we have to book that again with his new passport????

Hope someone might be able to help!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think there is an option to change the passport number once he gets the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

God that was a quick reply!!!! That would be great if there was. I dont want to book good flights and then have to pay later to change them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

New Passport = new ESTA. When he gets the new passport he will have to do the ESTA again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MRG77 wrote: »
    New Passport = new ESTA. When he gets the new passport he will have to do the ESTA again.

+1 ESTA lasts for two years or when the passport expires, whichever occurs first.

You asked a specific question - ' will his new passport have the same number as his old one?', the answer is a definite 'NO'.

I didn't think you were required to provide the passport number at the time of booking :confused: There is an option under 'Manage Booking' on the Aer Lingus website to provide API (Advance Passenger Information) for flights to the US and Spain so they clearly provide the ability to add this data after you make the booking and have a booking reference number, I believe this is done specifically to cover your situation i.e. so you can book flights for someone who's passport will expire between the date of the booking and the date of the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 ESTA lasts for two years or when the passport expires, whichever occurs first.

You asked a specific question - ' will his new passport have the same number as his old one?', the answer is a definite 'NO'.

I didn't think you were required to provide the passport number at the time of booking :confused: There is an option under 'Manage Booking' on the Aer Lingus website to provide API (Advance Passenger Information) for flights to the US and Spain so they clearly provide the ability to add this data after you make the booking and have a booking reference number, I believe this is done specifically to cover your situation i.e. so you can book flights for someone who's passport will expire between the date of the booking and the date of the flight.

Yeah I thought that about the ESTA! Ah well!

I booked the flight through skyscanner and I went into a few options and they all looked for passport details. The flight in particular was with Virgin Atlantic so I phoned them and they said they would change the details for me when he gets his passport renewed so I just need to call them back. I asked would this cost me anything and he said no so we'll see how it goes!!!!

Thanks for the reply and the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement