Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect PC to Home Network - Help please?

Options
  • 28-02-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I received some great help from fellow Boardsies here recently and I hope I can tap into this knowledge base one more time to fix a little snag I have encountered.

Long story short is that I had a home network where the UPC modem acted solely as a bridge with everything connected to an ASUS RT-N66U router which had a static IP address and all worked fine i.e. the various devices all saw each other, could share files etc and the media devices could all stream from the NAS. All was well.

I recently upgraded my UPC 50mb broadband to 150MB and added a 2nd OUYA media device. As the ASUS router only has 4 outbound Ethernet ports I decided to remove the cable serving the Dell PC use it to cable to the 2nd OUYA and (with some help from UPC) I connected the DELL PC directly to the UPC modem but now I can't get the PC to see or join the Home Network. I guess the problem is that the PC is now connected directly to the UPC modem instead of the ASUS router which everything else is connected to but I'm sure there must be a way make the PC part of the home network? That is what I'm looking for help with.

I really don't know much about this stuff and have learned bits and pieces over the years mostly through trial and error and guidance from Boards so forgive the following drawings. The first is designed to explain the old network setup and the second represents how the network is currently configured with the Dell PC no longer part of the network.

Any and all help most appreciated.

Original Setup
    vz8g3.jpg

Current Setup
    16748ld.jpg

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I saw your email. Couple of things, its bloody nuts that they have given you four static public IP's. Those things are almost impossible to get.

Secondly, its bloody nuts that they have got you to put the pc on a public IP. Your pc is currently getting hammered by every bot and exploit know to windows. Routers, even ones as bad as UPC's, function as very effective firewalls. If a device on your network has not been talking to something outside of it, nothing outside the network will be able to talk to it. In your case everything can get at your PC. I haven't looked since I'm on my corp lan, but I'd say it wouldn't take too long to find a way into it.

Thirdly, as long as its on a public IP you're on a separate network and you won't be able to talk to internal devices.

You should buy a switch, change your pc back to DHCP and connect the pc and any other devices you buy to the switch. Your setup has been made needlessly complicated by UPC support but and I stress this, they have gone above and beyond to help you.

5 port gig switch

What it should look like.

2qxasu1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Cuddlestone,

I guess the reason I got Static IP's from UPC is that my account with them is a small business account rather than residential. I operate a home office hence I have a separate residential account for cable TV and a business account for Broadband even though both are in the same premises.

If I read the rest of your post correctly you're saying my PC is vulnerable to external threats as it is now connected directly to the UPC modem rather than to the router which (I assume) has built in firewall protection etc? Would most people with a modem and PC not connect their PC to the modem rather than via a 3rd party router or is the firewall functionality on my modem disabled because it it being used as a bridge and as a result is no longer capable of giving any firewall/threat protection to any devices connected directly to it?

I appreciate you taking the time to re-design my network and for recommending the 5 port switch. My reading of your post and (very helpful) drawing is that by connecting the the 5 port switch to the router and then connecting the 2nd Ouya and PC to the 5 port switch everything is once again interconnected on the same network operating off the router which is not only serving broadband to everything but also protecting everything via its built in firewall. Do I have the right end of the stick?

I guess I'd better order one of those 5 port switches asap and in the meantime I'll connect the PC back to the router directly (using DHCP) and let my young lad's PS4 connect via WiFi rather than cable.

Cheers,

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Cuddlestone,

I guess the reason I got Static IP's from UPC is that my account with them is a small business account rather than residential. I operate a home office hence I have a separate residential account for cable TV and a business account for Broadband even though both are in the same premises.

Makes sense but normally there is a surcharge for static addresses.
    If I read the rest of your post correctly you're saying my PC is vulnerable to external threats as it is now connected directly to the UPC modem rather than to the router which (I assume) has built in firewall protection etc? Would most people with a modem and PC not connect their PC to the modem rather than via a 3rd party router or is the firewall functionality on my modem disabled because it it being used as a bridge and as a result is no longer capable of giving any firewall/threat protection to any devices connected directly to it?

Your UPC box has been turned in a modem effectively by being placed into bridge mode, not much different to the old 64k gear. All of the functionality that would normally be in place is no longer in effect. Great for your ASUS router since it would have created loads of problems for it, horrible for your pc or anything else you place onto the extra 3 external IP's unless secured.
    I appreciate you taking the time to re-design my network and for recommending the 5 port switch. My reading of your post and (very helpful) drawing is that by connecting the the 5 port switch to the router and then connecting the 2nd Ouya and PC to the 5 port switch everything is once again interconnected on the same network operating off the router which is not only serving broadband to everything but also protecting everything via its built in firewall. Do I have the right end of the stick?

Yep. It would be unusual to need multiple external IP's for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Cuddlesworth, how did you figure there's 4 public static IP's ??

I would presume the ASUS router is issuing DHCP for all connected devices on dynamic IP's
    The Public part of the UPC box is what gets the Public Static IP?

Any old switch, or even an old router will do the job without complicating it further.

whizbang wrote: »
    Cuddlesworth, how did you figure there's 4 public static IP's ??

I would presume the ASUS router is issuing DHCP for all connected devices on dynamic IP's
    The Public part of the UPC box is what gets the Public Static IP?

Any old switch, or even an old router will do the job without complicating it further.

Pm from another thread. He didn't want to list the IP's on the forum, it was a good idea tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Sorry, i wasnt getting at you, I had a similar issue, Thanks anyway

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Cuddlesworth has it down to a t.

a simple gigabyte switch into the Asus and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Cuddlesworth has it down to a tee.

a simple gigabyte switch into the Asus and you're good to go.

Not only are you a renowned LFC discussion thread guru but an IT guru also?? A man of many talents :D

Can't bl00dy wait for Sunday. A combination of nervous and confident. What a win it will be if we do the business but what a downer it will be if we lose!!!

Not only are you a renowned LFC discussion thread guru but an IT guru also?? A man of many talents :D

Can't bl00dy wait for Sunday. A combination of nervous and confident. What a win it will be if we do the business but what a downer it will be if we lose!!!

You seem to have the wrong forum.

Advertisement