Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diversity lottery

Options
  • 28-02-2014 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭

How come the england is excluded from the diversity lottery?

Is there a different rule to gain a visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

AFAIK if a country surpasses a specific number of immigrants to the US, the diversity lottery becomes unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

So they given to many visas

I wonder is it easier the englishl to move to the states seeing as the uk has close ties to america

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No its harder

owenc wrote: »
    No its harder

Really how come

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are 50,000 odd green cards up for grabs each year via the diversity lottery program. If you are a UK citizen, you can not apply for them. So that puts you at an immediate disadvantage to a citizen of a country that can apply for them, such as Ireland.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There are 50,000 odd green cards up for grabs each year via the diversity lottery program. If you are a UK citizen, you can not apply for them. So that puts you at an immediate disadvantage to a citizen of a country that can apply for them, such as Ireland.

I,m 1/4 Irish, english, welsh and maltise.

I would say the Irish side has more advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The clue is in the name Diversity. Like Lil Lisa said, once a country reaches their deemed population threshold they are not eligible for these visas. The US government has set quotas for the numbers of immigrants from a certain country that can have US residency at any given time. If a country reaches that level through other visa options, they are not eligible for the diversity lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

The odds aren't great this was dv-2013:

IRE: 138 (maybe 1/100 chance if 13k applicants)
    N.IRE: 45

oddly these folks did very well:
    UKRAINE 6,424
    UZBEKISTAN 5,101
    EGYPT 5,015
    NIGERIA 6,218
    ETHIOPIA 4,910
    NEPAL 4,370
    struth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 warnbuffed123

Hey,

I just want to share a great lottery related website with you guys. if you want to check the results of lotteries, visit numerodehoy.do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,831 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said - but just in case, no, don't in fact visit the site the person above posted, obviously it'll have nothing to do with the visa lottery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement