Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for... well... Ireland :)

Options
  • 28-02-2014 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

There is a possibility that I might make a quick visit to Ireland soon. I have been wanting to see your country for a while now.

I have not really travelled anywhere outside my country in some years (my home country is Mexico) for about ten years (quick shopping in USA does not count). so I would appreciate any input, especially about:

- visa: do we need any sort of visa for a 10 day visit?

- any decent and not so expensive hostels in Dublin? airbnb recommendations welcome.

- about how much would 1 week - ten days would it cost for anyone (i'm a woman if it helps in any way) to live there? meaning food, transportation et al. nay, i do not qualify for youth anything, i'm over thirty

- prices of museums, etc

- prices of trains or buses - i would love to see other city/cities as well if possible!

- and of course, tips on anything i absolutely must not miss!

I would very very much appreciate any info you may contribute. This would be my first time in Ireland, I would love to be able to go and have a blast in your wonderful country.

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

Did I say something wrong? :( or is this fórum just a Little less active?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You might do better on another forum like Tripadvisor.

However the good news is that you will not need a visa
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/visa_requirements_for_entering_ireland.html

Thank you very much! It's good to know I won't need a visa. Going to TripAdvisor now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have heard the Generator hostel in Smithfield is quite nice. Smithfield is in the center of the city so you dont need to worry about taxis or buses. Most museums are owned by the government and free or fairly cheap. Food is quite pricey. But if you are smart you can eat fairly cheaply eg http://eatforafiver.com/

Visit West Cork, Im Irish and I find breath taking.

Thank you for the tip! Will google now, and the center would be nifty in case bus fares are high (and even if they're not ^^,)

It looks like that eatforafive site is going to save me QUITE some bucks, too, so thanks!

Gonna take a look at West Cork in Google now as well :)

UPDATE: West Cork looks beautiful :D

BTW, are train fares high?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Train fares are cheaper when you book them in advance (at least 5 days to get the cheapest fare) and if you travel in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

zyanya wrote: »
    BTW, are train fares high?

They are cheaper if you book online at least 7 days in advance e.g. from Dublin to Galway is about €15 in advance but about €35 at the station (Irish Rail). The bus on the other hand can be got for €10 nearly anytime (e.g. GoBus)

The ring of Kerry is also beautiful and is not that far from West Cork, it's a scenic drive that can be done in a day, costs about €20 if you do a tour. The Cliffs of Moher are also worth a visit, they are near Galway and also cost about €20 for a half day trip.

Ireland is a very small country so nowhere is too far to travel, public transport options aren't as good in smaller and more rural locations but all the main tourist locations are accessible.

Some museums in Dublin are free like the National Museum and National Gallery, others like the Guinness storehouse are about €15.

There are a few hostels in the citycentre, hostelbookers or hostelworld should give you a few options. Dorms are from about €15 upwards, Temple Bar is the main tourist area for bars etc. but they are more expensive than the rest of the city centre and are aimed much more at tourists. Grafton Street is the main shopping street and around the area there are loads of bars and restaurants, anywhere close to here would be a good place to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Avalon House is good and very central, as are the Times Hostels (one by Trinity College and another by Camden Street). I have known people who have stayed in both and were very happy and felt safe. You should aim to stay in the city centre so that you'll save money by not needing to use public transport every day. If you wanted something a little more independent, you could check out Latchfords on Baggot Street, they have self-contained apartments which means you could cook for yourself, et. But they would be slightly more expensive per night. Still within walking distance of most places.

If you do end up needing to use public transport a lot it might be worth your while to buy a bus ticket when you arrive. You can get a 5-day rambler for about €25 and you can use it as many times as you like on any five days (they don't have to be consecutive). It also means you won't be fumbling about looking for change every time you want to take a bus (it can be a pain!!).

It's good to base yourself in Dublin, and you can take day tours from the city to pretty much anywhere in Ireland. You might also like to visit Galway on the west coast for a few nights. Very easily accessible from Dublin (2.5 hour bus journey for €20 round trip) and lots of good hostels to stay in there too. Plus you could take a bus (public or tour) out west to Connemara, or visit the Aran Islands or the Cliffs of Moher). Trains can be quite expensive; sometimes you can get a good deal if you book well in advance, but if you're planning to just buy tickets at the train station on the day be prepared to pay 2 or 3 times the price of a bus ticket to the same destination.

A lot of Dublin museums are free (some have a donation box inside the door for your own discretion).The most expensive museums I know of charge no more than about €10/€12 for an adult ticket (again if you book online in advance some places will work out even less expensive). Depending on when you come, and what your interests are, there could be festivals or special events on throughout the city.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement