Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Venue 11 Pro - MS Office installation

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭

Just received my new Venue 11 Pro today :) Have a query someone here may be able to help with though. My understanding was that all Venue 11s ordered from the Dell Home site with the Atom processor and Windows 8 (non pro) came with a full version of Office Home and Student (other versions only a trial). In fact, I've read that this is a general Microsoft thing. However, the Dell Ireland site just listed a trial for this version. I presumed this to be an error due to there being multiple mentions of the different installations in various reviews etc and the fact that the full Office is listed for the exact same system (same e value code) on the Dell UK site. Naturally, I've just got the trial! It's not a huge issue as I have Office 2010, but it'd nice to have the more touch optimised 2013 version. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there a reason that Ireland would be treated differently to the UK in this regard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bomshika

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just the trial (Business version with Outlook), but I'm going to get on to Dell to see if they'll give me the full version (unlikely but worth a try). Yes, I'm really not sure why it would only be a trial here, but the full version elsewhere. It's going good - have only mostly used it for surfing, watching videos etc so far, but it's handy to install non-RT software (e.g. VLC). Screen is good. Battery life doesn't seem as good as claimed, but that's hardly a surprise. I came from a Surface RT; the Dell has two disadvantages compared to it:
    1. Build quality is well off the Surface. The back flexes and creaks easily - although this is presumably because it's removable, which is quite handy.
    2. There is no folio / flip case available for it. And I mean 'no' literally - Dell don't even sell one! As such, protection is an issue - I'm not a fan of sleeves (these are available). I'd love to get a good folio case for it.

Any other questions, let me know.

BTW, AFAIK Dell are still running their trade in cashback offer on it. I traded in a really crappy netbook (so bad, I removed Windows and put Linux on it - and it still ran crap), and had €200 cashback confirmed yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bomshika

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bomshika wrote: »

Don't get me wrong - the battery life isn't BAD or anything; it's just not the 10 hrs or whatever they say. Of course, I have the screen on a high brightness so that uses more battery. I haven't had it long enough to put an actual figure on the life though. There is no folio cases at all - even third party (unless some have come on the market in the last week). Plenty of bags that will fit though. Given that it only cost me approx €300 with the trade in, very well worth the money! I'd imagine Dell would be quite happy to take the Nexus but it's worth too much to trade! There terms and conditions of the promotion are here. It should be quite easy to buy a second hand laptop or tablet that meets the requirements for well less than €100 I'd imagine.

Advertisement