Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRAZY WORKLOAD OF LEAVING CERT IRISH!

Options
  • 27-02-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

For any of ye Honours Irish Leaving Cert students ye will know that the work load is crazy! The problem I have is with the way it's bate into us and all we are doing is saying it back out and how does that teach us the langauge? All it does is put us off honours? We should proud of our langauge and who we are! All the leaving cert is making us hate it more and more everyday! Once people see the amount of hate there is for the exam maybe somebody will realise how it is unfair on us and is doing nothing to keep the language alive!

THE LINK FOR THE PETITION: https://www.change.org/petitions/leaving-certificate-students-sign-this-petition-to-have-leaving-cert-irish-thought-and-examined-properly

Please try and share this as much as possible! Tweet it and post it on Facebook lets get something done here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

It's really not that bad. The exam is easier than ever I think and I find the work required is minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

To be honest, the course isn't that hard. There isn't that much of a workload. The only thing I would complain about are the sraith pictiurs. However paper 1 could not be simpler. Why not take the time to learn the grammar? The rest will fall together once the basic structures are perfected.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I would have to disagree! With the storys, poems plays straith pictuir.... goes on and on adds up to more than 50 pages! never mind the oral and everything that comes with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Not that bad really. The main thing I'd change would be remove the prose and do the whole of a Thig na Tit orm instead or add that 5% to listening. Cluastuiscint should be worth far more than 10%.

Two years to learn 20 picture stories. The horror.

• Advertisement

The whole thing is messed up tbh! How can anyone enjoy the language?

Not being insulting, but you seem to be just another one of those people who blames the language for what may actually be your or your teacher's faults. Maybe you should reapportion the blame and you might have a more positive outlook.

No Robman! I just feel I would enjoy the language more if it was thought and examined differently! I love Irish! I love the way its unique and it sparks interest from abroad! I am also proud to have something of our own! I just don't like the way its thought and examined! It puts people off the language I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JaqenHgarr

you don't have to have a load of stories learned off for the sraith pictuirs many of them are quite easy only a few require fully learned off passages, 40% on the oral, 10% on cluaistuiscint 5 poems really isnt that bad learning off essays about the ceist/fadhbanna are hard but I'm in fifth yar and we've learned off the opening and closing paragraphs for the essays so thats like a full page of the essay. The point im making is there is no "crazy workload" in fact i think their is less to be learned than for most subjects.

Also if you're serious about having a petition to "have Leaving Cert Irish Thought and Examined properly!" you might want to have some serious suggestions about how to change this apart from more on the cluaistiscuint and no more prose

• Advertisement

No Robman! I just feel I would enjoy the language more if it was thought and examined differently! I love Irish! I love the way its unique and it sparks interest from abroad! I am also proud to have something of our own! I just don't like the way its thought and examined! It puts people off the language I think!

But you could make that argument for any subject. I'd enjoy maths more if there weren't theorems to be learned. I see no value in that, but I can't really change how the SEC has decided how the course should be taught.

Basically, everything would be lovely if all of us skipped merrily from class to class eagerly anticipating our next lesson, but not everything in life is exactly as you'd like it.

Don't let a few misgivings deter you from a nice language and a central part of our culture.

robman60 wrote: »
    But you could make that argument for any subject. I'd enjoy maths more if there weren't theorems to be learned. I see no value in that, but I can't really change how the SEC has decided how the course should be taught.

Basically, everything would be lovely if all of us skipped merrily from class to class eagerly anticipating our next lesson, but not everything in life is exactly as you'd like it.

Don't let a few misgivings deter you from a nice language and a central part of our culture.

Maths is a different story I think! Theorems are the basis of everything they're telling you why your sums make sense! Learning so story about people going of to paris is that a basis of the language? I don't think so. There should be heritage involved or something different from Rote learning. I think its the main reason why people don't like the language! Like English! There is no rote learning in English? You write what you feel! And you get loads of marks for writing what YOU think!

You write what you feel! And you get loads of marks for writing what YOU think!
    Man this is the same with the irish essays ! they ask for your opinion on a certain issue or problem !

Ya but its all learnt before hand? It makes no sense I think!

It's only learnt beforehand if you aren't capable of writing it on your own, which most people aren't.

I actually find I've learned a lot of phrases and vocabulary from the sraith pictiuirí but that may be because our teacher does them in an excellent way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

How can anyone enjoy the language?

I enjoy the language, as do many here clearly. Do you need help with something maybe? It can be cut down if you are overwhelmed, do you need help with this?

If you don't like the essay you're teacher gives you write your own ! there is no requirement for you to write out exactly what your teacher gives you

Not learned, studied. You do loads of topics the same as you do in any subject then you go into the exam and some of these topics come up and you answer on them. Sound familiar? That's because it's the same as every subject. The sooner you stop putting Irish in the bold corner the quicker you'll realise it's not bad at all :)

Man i was pretty overwhelmed with irish for junior cert and in 4th year my teacher went back over all the basic grammar point of verbs in past present future and their irregulars if you get this down it will make everything easier for you and give you more freedom to write your own opinions in your exam, if you're feeling frustrated at Irish I'd really recommend going back over the basic grammar everything else will fall into place

:) Okay everyone! I get your opinions but I am also entitled to my own! I'm going to delete this thread as I don't want anymore hassle for anyone! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Before you delete it man just want to say we're not meaning to gang up or say you're completely wrong everyone struggles and gets frustrated with certain subjects but you seem to really like irish so please don't give up ! You are right to say we should be proud of our language

I'm not frustrated with the subject I just have my opinions on it! Thank you though!

:) Okay everyone! I get your opinions but I am also entitled to my own! I'm going to delete this thread as I don't want anymore hassle for anyone! Thanks!

Davie everybody has had this opinion at some stage, it's ok to dislike Irish but there's no getting away from doing it so your better to tackle it head on :)

Sorry if it seemed we were trying to hassle you into changing your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I would have to disagree! With the storys, poems plays straith pictuir.... goes on and on adds up to more than 50 pages! never mind the oral and everything that comes with it!

Your argument has flaws .
    The oral and listening give you 40 percent I think . The oral questions are pretty basic and easy . I wouldn't be complaining about it tbh .
    I would agree though that 20 sraith pictiurs is a bit much .
    2 comprehension worth 100 marks .
    An essay to do with so much time .
    It's not that bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

For any of ye Honours Irish Leaving Cert students ye will know that the work load is crazy! The problem I have is with the way it's bate into us and all we are doing is saying it back out and how does that teach us the langauge? All it does is put us off honours? We should proud of our langauge and who we are! All the leaving cert is making us hate it more and more everyday! Once people see the amount of hate there is for the exam maybe somebody will realise how it is unfair on us and is doing nothing to keep the language alive!

THE LINK FOR THE PETITION: https://www.change.org/petitions/leaving-certificate-students-sign-this-petition-to-have-leaving-cert-irish-thought-and-examined-properly

Please try and share this as much as possible! Tweet it and post it on Facebook lets get something done here!

Hahahaha this is laughable to be honest. Do you honestly think the SEC give two f*ck's about what a few disgruntled students think? Plus it's teachers putting a workload on you not them. If you feel they are giving you too much to do then talk to them. Maybe if you spent the time you spend making petitions studying Irish then your grades might improve. Alternatively, drop to pass, is it that important that you do honours in the big scheme of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

There really isn't that much on the Irish course. Compared to the workload for English it's nothing. Oral and listening are 50% and paper one couldn't be simpler...

Although I do agree that it doesn't teach people to use the language, which it should.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

robman60 wrote: »
    It's only learnt beforehand if you aren't capable of writing it on your own, which most people aren't.

I actually find I've learned a lot of phrases and vocabulary from the sraith pictiuirí but that may be because our teacher does them in an excellent way.

How does he/she do them??

dory wrote: »
    How does he/she do them??
    First week of October we got one each day for a week. Then, we'd have those to look at for a month before getting the next five in November. She uses similar vocabulary in a lot of them so it reduces the workload a lot. I just take the important words that I didn't know previously and form my sentences around those really.

Might be pretty standard but I know some of the pass classes were just bombarded with them daily and I think it's more manageable the way my teacher did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SeamusB123

It's really not that bad, that petition is ridiculous. The language is taught through poetry and literature, which is the case for most languages. For example, English. You could learn all the sraith pictiúrí in a week... or two.. Heck, my oral is in a month and I've just started them today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ok I know that this obviously isn't the case but the SEC don't want students to sit down and learn 4 sentences for every picture. My guess would be that after 14 years of learning a language, describing whats happening in a simple cartoon sequence would be childs play. But obviously the way Irish isn't taught students don't come near to reaching this level of proficiency.

Advertisement