Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle -Series 3 (Starts March 1st. BBC2 10pm)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

And he's brought Chris Morris with him!

I feel like I've got the Moon on a Stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Can't wait. Last 2 were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Skid X wrote: »
    I feel like I've got the Moon on a Stick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Committed StewyLee fans have probably already seen the below clip. It's hard to appraise student comedy, because often the student will have been honing their 5/10 minute routine for months. But, as a big fan of the genre, I can say that this is superb. He's 22/23 at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seTMl6MQ1yw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Well, that was even better than I expected. Great to see Chris Morris back on TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Furious I missed it, does anybody know if there will be a replay or indeed if there is any way to catch this first episode? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,263 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Furious I missed it, does anybody know if there will be a replay or indeed if there is any way to catch this first episode? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BBC iPlayer.

If not, and you have Sky, it's repeated on BBC Two Wales (Channel 971) this Tuesday at 10pm.

Not on BBC Two Wales tonight because of all this St. David's malarkey :D

BBC iPlayer.

If not, and you have Sky, it's repeated on BBC Two Wales (Channel 971) this Tuesday at 10pm.

Not on BBC Two Wales tonight because of all this St. David's malarkey :D

I can't seem to get the iplayer to work as I am in Ireland and not the UK, it's very frustrating.

Thanks for the help, I will keep an eye out unless I first manage to get the iplayer to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I can't seem to get the iplayer to work as I am in Ireland and not the UK, it's very frustrating.

Thanks for the help, I will keep an eye out unless I first manage to get the iplayer to work.

Google Hola for either Firefox or Chrome.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help everyone, I've just finished the episode after getting a bit creative with the internet. Loved it, some genuine laugh out loud bits and the ending, though dramatic effect was obviously heightened for laughs, also had a real point to it. Excellent first episode of the new season, I won't be missing it on tv again.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Great to have him back. Loved it, even the odd bit at the end. Even odder than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Fantastic stuff from Stew,as usual.Loved the ending.

Chris Morris was great too.''You're persuading people that they've had a good time, when measurably,they haven't.It's like being the devil.''

Great start, and the fact that I'm not a fan of Lee Mack's stand-up made it even better!

Already looking forward to next week's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Brilliant start to the third series ,haven't laughed as much in ages.
    Proper standup comedy.

Next week's episode is at the slightly later time of 10.15pm.

With a guest appearance from Kevin Eldon!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Or, as Lee insists on calling him, the actor Kevin Eldon.

You can usually tell a show's good when the Beeb starts to bump it around in the schedules, I find, and Lee's show certainly is that. His feelings about the Internet mostly ring true and were quite funny. I don't think Lee's ever been into computers much, but probably regards them as a necessary evil since he made his 2005 resurgence and subsequent career renewal with great help from internet promotion. He says that they stifle children's imaginations - that's true - but partly because computers today are trending more towards being devices which try to limit what the user can do beyond the manufacturer's imagination or intention.

It used to be that computers compelled the user's imagination because otherwise they'd be pretty boring. Some home computer users even wrote their own games, such as Simon Munnery's offering for the ZX Spectrum.

I am very pleased that Stewart Lee, Chris Morris and The Actor Kevin Eldon will be appearing in the same show in 2014. The Television World hasn't gone completely mad just yet.

Between them, they have appeared in a huge number of my favourite shows.

Stewart is on Radcliffe and Maconie's show on BBC6 music this afternoon after 2.30.

Good interview with Stewart Lee here (it's quite long).

http://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews/2014/03/07/19747/%91one_of_the_nice_things_about_the_bbc_is_they_dont_really_promote_the_series

It's a shame to see the BBC is so lukewarm about the show. Their comedy commissioning has gone to hell in the last few years.
    'Let's remember, I've never been able to definitely get the series recommissioned, they always seem to happen a few years late in a rather slipshod way. There's never any obvious enthusiasm about [the] recommissioning. Certainly, the third wasn't going to happen until Sky wanted to do it and that forced the BBC's hand, as did [winning] the Bafta and the British Comedy Awards. So that's not really fair.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Skid X wrote: »
    Good interview with Stewart Lee here (it's quite long).

http://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews/2014/03/07/19747/%91one_of_the_nice_things_about_the_bbc_is_they_dont_really_promote_the_series

It's a shame to see the BBC is so lukewarm about the show. Their comedy commissioning has gone to hell in the last few years.

BBC's comedy commissioning has been patchy for years. Lee's been pretty open about his dealings with this beast but not necessarily in a negative way, more that he looks at it like a weather system - it knows neither kindness, nor malice and nobody can always accurately predict what it'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Another good show last night, very well
    thought out.

Very funny and quite a good ending too. The stand up was one of the 30 minute bits that he did in his latest show in Dublin.

I found it difficult to laugh at the "These days, if you say you're English, they arrest you and throw you in jail" skit. Didn't he use the same concept in a previous series? And I've definitely seen him doing it live.

Another magnificent performance from Kevin Eldon!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevinEldon

Cheers.

I've just finished watching 'Shilbottle'. Though the stand-up lacked the overt structure of the second episode, I thought it was much funnier (despite the fact that I found my self correctly predicting parts of gags). I hope the closing piece was a gentle parody of faux-inspirational shorts which work on the assumption that if you pound enough bars of Einaudi anything can be moving and meaningful. Surely it wasn't an attempt at profundity; he doesn't actually think, does he, that creative disobedience macht frei?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I found it difficult to laugh at the "These days, if you say you're English, they arrest you and throw you in jail" skit. Didn't he use the same concept in a previous series? And I've definitely seen him doing it live.

Yeah ,I dont like it when he keeps on repeating stuff like that or the Crisps rant or Dellboy falling over rant ,or the Rappers rant from a few years ago .
    He needs someone to have a word in his ear and tell him to stop those long repetitive rants .

Second episode was decent but not a patch on the first one.

Tonight's episode at the slightly later time of 10.15pm again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

OMFG.
    Chris Morris and Stew in the same room.

/faints

These two haven't worked together since On the Hour over 20 years ago if i'm not mistaken.

Advertisement