Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy a bike in Cork

Options
  • 27-02-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am looking to buy a men's road bike in the price range of about €500. I don't know much about bikes so was wondering where would be a good place in Cork to get a bike? Also, what are the good brands to be looking at? If anyone has any information it would be so helpful!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I got mine from a shop called cycle scene on the corner of Blarney St and Shandon St on the north side of the city, there are other bike shops around the city, but I think that one is one of the best.

For €500 you definitely want to get an aluminium frame. Brand wise, my bike is a trek and it has held up very well for the past few years. Best bit of advice though would be to remember to get a decent lock. If you use a cable lock you might as well leave the keys with the lock and save the thieves a couple of seconds, a u lock is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Doree wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a men's road bike in the price range of about €500. I don't know much about bikes so was wondering where would be a good place in Cork to get a bike? Also, what are the good brands to be looking at? If anyone has any information it would be so helpful!

Thanks!

Kilgrews in town. Great for sales and service.

Trek is a good brand.

Are you employed? If so, the bike to work tax scheme will majorly stretch your budget they'll have the forms and info.

The main thing is to get a bike that fits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doree

Thanks for the advice, I'm in town at the weekend so will definitely have a look in both those places.

I must look into the cycle to work scheme- I didn't even think of that!

Thanks a mill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Some others:
    The Edge ( Kinsale Rd. roundabout) ( prob biggest choice)
    Giant Shop Ballincollig (opp. MD O'Se)
    Cork Bicycle Services
    West End Bikes (Ballincollig)
    Carrolls Bikes (Dillons Cross)
    Victoria Cross Cycles
    McCarthys ? Old Mallow Rd.

deffo look into the BTW scheme.
    Also, this time of year have a look at online. some decent discounts out there. Make sure you get the right size. 500 notes + BTW scheme might see you with carbon forks, might be a stretch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Just me maybe op but I'd try adverts, far more value to be had for 500 notes in the second hand market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Got a Trek from Victoria Cross cycles recently, happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd recommend Cycle Scene as well.

http://www.cyclescene.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I'd also recommend Victoria Cross or Kilgrews but for your money you'll get the best options from donedeal or adverts.

However if you want to buy new this is the best bang for your buck.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-uk-id_8274036.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The_Sub wrote: »
    However if you want to buy new this is the best bang for your buck.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-uk-id_8274036.html

Needs a pair of mudguards though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Needs a pair of mudguards though ;)
    fcuk mudguards, what you worries about, a wet arsh?
    mud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

There is also the Bike Shed off Barrack st. plenty of second hand bikes and new too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bike-Shed-Cork/197477380311387?v=info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

+1 for the Bike Shed off Cat lane, great bunch of lads, got a fine bargain there last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I got mine (folding bike for cycle to work scheme) shipped in new from the uk, worked out something like €200 cheaper than Westend cycles in Ballincollig even with stg and freight. I'd like to support a bricks and mortar shop but hey 200 notes is 200 notes.

Advertisement