Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities to distract myself

Options
  • 27-02-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a 16 year old 5th year. Practically all I do in my life is pretty much just study and my hobby, gaming. Recently I've been getting bored of my options, and it seems like the same thing forever. I have fairly poor social skills as a result of my habits of sitting at home and just studying or playing games. I'd like to hear what you guys have to suggest I can do. I think picking up a new sport might be a bit too much of a time commitment but there must be some kind of activities where I can meet new people and learn to socialize better. I don't want to be like this forever :eek:

Anyway, not sure if this is the right sub-forum but I couldn't find anything better. What do you, leaving certs do apart from your study to keep life a bit fresh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hi, I'm a 16 year old 5th year. Practically all I do in my life is pretty much just study and my hobby, gaming. Recently I've been getting bored of my options, and it seems like the same thing forever. I have fairly poor social skills as a result of my habits of sitting at home and just studying or playing games. I'd like to hear what you guys have to suggest I can do. I think picking up a new sport might be a bit too much of a time commitment but there must be some kind of activities where I can meet new people and learn to socialize better. I don't want to be like this forever :eek:

Anyway, not sure if this is the right sub-forum but I couldn't find anything better. What do you, leaving certs do apart from your study to keep life a bit fresh?

Good day, 6th year here.

You seem to spend a lot of time studying, if you are really doing that much study already fair play.

There are lots of things you could do apart from study. Start exercising, even jogging once a week or something. Sport doesn't take up much time at all and you make so many friends, both male and female (especially GAA). You could start going to the gym too and work on getting stronger/bigger, would be something else to work towards.

You don't want the gaming taking up too much of your life either. There's nothing wrong with gaming but imagine what you could be doing instead of playing games, you could have friends over for a party or something. Honestly the best thing that ever happened to me was my playstation breaking, your mind changes and you become more social, no science to back me up here just experience.

Hope some of this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

Aspiring wrote: »
    Good day, 6th year here.

You seem to spend a lot of time studying, if you are really doing that much study already fair play.

There are lots of things you could do apart from study. Start exercising, even jogging once a week or something. Sport doesn't take up much time at all and you make so many friends, both male and female (especially GAA). You could start going to the gym too and work on getting stronger/bigger, would be something else to work towards.

You don't want the gaming taking up too much of your life either. There's nothing wrong with gaming but imagine what you could be doing instead of playing games, you could have friends over for a party or something. Honestly the best thing that ever happened to me was my playstation breaking, your mind changes and you become more social, no science to back me up here just experience.

Hope some of this helps.
    Thanks for the advice! much appreciated. I'll take that on board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Plus 1 on the sport thing. It's weird, but after exercise study isn't so much of a chore for me.

Also naps before dinner-don't knock it 'till you've tried it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plus 1 on the sport thing. It's weird, but after exercise study isn't so much of a chore for me.

Also naps before dinner-don't knock it 'till you've tried it :)

I think they have found that oxygenating the blood by means of a run, brisk walk or work-out is very beneficial to study. Makes sense I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

spurious wrote: »
    I think they have found that oxygenating the blood by means of a run, brisk walk or work-out is very beneficial to study. Makes sense I suppose.

Jogging for 20 minutes a day increases the amount of memory cells aswell . Read it in a science journal somewhere before.

I like to play guitar or read .
    Music can be a very calming and beneficial hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mirrorelm

I am in sixth year and I think An Gaisce is a really good thing to do to give you a break from study.
    I did the Bronze award while in fifth year and now I'm doing Silver. It encourages you to take up new hobbies and keep them up and you get something out of it at the end. It gives you a certain sense of achievement too and I really do enjoy it.
    I do literacy (which is just reading and writing really) as a personal skill for it as I love to read.
    I do Zumba dance classes as a physical activity and I volunteer at the local youth club as part of my community involvement.
    Aside from these, I also play badminton once a week.
    I'd advise maybe trying the Bronze award. You have to do all the above activities for 13 weeks (which is really not that much) and also an adventure journey, like a hike. I'm sure your school takes part in or at least knows about An Gaisce, so try asking a teacher about it or you can also visit the website.
    Personally, I think it's a great experience and worth trying! Hope this helps :)

Advertisement