Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Felling in the Mountains

Options
  • 27-02-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

I have no words

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Wow, that person obviously has a death wish!

Almost a Darwin Award entry....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Jebus Christmas! If you don't know how to use a chainsaw, don't use a chainsaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I've probably seen worse but can't remember when.

You'd want danger money being anywhere near that guy to film him.

The sawing action of using your arms to pull and push the saw across the cut is a novel approach.

Worst part was the tree missed his saw so he can still have another go!

Edit> The more I think about it the more I think it was staged, no one goes and makes every possible mistake there is to make and films it, unless someone has set them up or is staging it themselves.

What was the chain there for? Then there is that second tie off. Neither served any purpose other than to make the the tree slide off the stump.

Gob (birds mouth or whatever you want to call it) was cut to make the tree fall in a direction it couldn't fall in because of the anchors.

Gob was undercut - thats a hanging offence on its own

Gob and back cut were put in at an angle other than horizontal, combined with the anchors that forced the tree to slide off the stump.

You just can't make that many mistakes unless you are trying to make a stupid movie.

I have honestly seen idiots fell trees (I've worked in forestry) and it really is difficult to make that much of a mess of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

LOL.

Ok the tree was on chains and cables to prevent it falling down the mountainside and damaging things etc.

You're supposed to put a slight angle on the backcut aren't you? The guy in the film should have had a higher back cut for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Just spend some time reading about how to do it properly and safely http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/support/working-with-chainsaws/tree-felling/, and a bit of attention to http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/support/working-with-chainsaws/your-personal-protective-equipment/ wouldn't go amiss.

But after that performance I really doubt even expert advice is going to be of any help.

Erm, the guy who is on that video can't hear you dude. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

Had to laugh at him, looking around wondering why it didn't fall. Darwin winner in the near future there, not much surrival going on.

The funny thing is I know the guy and he's normally on the ball with chainsawing stuff, this was one of the only times he's been filmed and he had his off-day.

Nevertheless he doesn't intend this video to be educational, just entertaining (which it is!) for the folks out there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The funny thing is I know the guy and he's normally on the ball with chainsawing stuff, this was one of the only times he's been filmed and he had his off-day.

Nevertheless he doesn't intend this video to be educational, just entertaining (which it is!) for the folks out there. :)

Go on tell us, you're the person behind the camera. ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thats not having an off day, its not having a ****ing clue what you're doing!

Go on tell us, you're the person behind the camera. ????????

No I am not. I'm the man he asked to put it onto Youtube though. :)

Like I said this is a video for ENTERTAINMENT purposes NOT educational.

He's worked in logging before and not had an injury nor a screw-up, yet as fate tends to play, the time you go in front of the camera is when the humbling can begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

After the start of the back cut i would have told him to stop or got out of dodge. A tree cut like that can go to any point on the compass. He got lucky it didnt follow him. I bet he cant run the lenght of the tree before it hits the ground.

You'd be surprised:

Ash Tree Felling being done in fair Eire...

Ash Tree Felling being done in fair Eire...

Hi WR,

You have now posted 2 chainsaw videos which I personally find disturbing from a health and safety viewpoint.

I think if you're going to post more chainsaw videos you should at least post some kind of warning with them.

The practices shown in both videos show no concern for basic safety.

Safety is entirely up to the individual.

NOT the high priests of Health and Safety wanting to lust over it all. :)

The persons in both videos are alive and well having carried out MANY tree-felling operations. It might not be 'by-the-book' but it gets the job done their way, not THEIR way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Any chainsaw operator doing anything remotely like what's displayed in either of the above videos in my woodlands would be run out of the place so fast their feet wouldn't touch the ground.
    That said, I doubt either of them have any qualifications/tickets or insurance cover, so they wouldn't be in my woods in the first place! :D

Safety is entirely up to the individual.

NOT the high priests of Health and Safety wanting to lust over it all. :)

The persons in both videos are alive and well having carried out MANY tree-felling operations. It might not be 'by-the-book' but it gets the job done their way, not THEIR way. ;)

Most people are visual learners,, if you show them how to do something that's what they expect a real life situation to be like.

You have an interest in guns/weapons would you make a video and post it to the internet showing unsafe handling.

There are many instances where doing things by the book is the only correct way.

You are 100% wrong, safety is up to all of us.

I won't be commenting on your videos again as I don't think you are posting them to illuminate any particular aspect of survivalism or self sufficiency but rather to boost your hit count on your youtube channel.

This is my loss as I believe you have valuable information to share, but not when it comes to chainsaw operation.

• Advertisement

Most people are visual learners,, if you show them how to do something that's what they expect a real life situation to be like.

You have an interest in guns/weapons would you make a video and post it to the internet showing unsafe handling.

There are many instances where doing things by the book is the only correct way.

You are 100% wrong, safety is up to all of us.

I won't be commenting on your videos again as I don't think you are posting them to illuminate any particular aspect of survivalism or self sufficiency but rather to boost your hit count on your youtube channel.

This is my loss as I believe you have valuable information to share, but not when it comes to chainsaw operation.

Well firstly, I don't care for your comments if you are bothered by an opinion about intuitive ways and methods. People learn better when it's up to themselves and learning from their OWN mistakes.

You sound like a collectivist type of person with this 'safety is up to all us'.
    Really? So I have to do a paper risk assessment every time I leave the household?

If I made a bad mistake with a firearm and uploaded it you can be damned sure I'd be pointing out my mistake so others don't make it.

Don't let the video bump you on your way out. :)

Rovi wrote: »
    Any chainsaw operator doing anything remotely like what's displayed in either of the above videos in my woodlands would be run out of the place so fast their feet wouldn't touch the ground.
    That said, I doubt either of them have any qualifications/tickets or insurance cover, so they wouldn't be in my woods in the first place! :D

In the Rocky Mountains of the USA things are a lot different to your neck of the woods believe me.

In the other video (which was filmed in Eire) the user has his own style but is certainly not dangerous.

I await to see your own chainsaw prowess, perhaps you'd be running your own feet out of the grounds by your own hasty words?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

Hi WR,

I'm sorry you're taking this attitude, but I'm not naive enough to think I'll get a different response than the other two comments above.

However, safety IS everyone's responsibility, not in a risk assessment to cross the road kind of way but in a stop people from getting hurt way.

If I was to see someone doing something in an unsafe manner, I'd stop them and tell them. What they did with that is their business. If I was to post a video showing unsafe practises, at the very least I'd point them out so people looking at the videos could learn the right way.

I hope you never have to respond as a first aider to a severe bleed caused by a chainsaw accident, from experience it is traumatic to the first responders as well as to the casualty and if some education can stop some other poor fool from having to go through that trauma, either as a casualty or as the first person on the scene to deal with the casualty, then I'll say something, like Rovi and Fries-With-That have done, regardless of whether you like it or not.

Ok you do things your way. I'll do things my way, what's more is, whenever I do my next chainsaw session I'll be sure to post it and let all the grandmasters of safety have a good buzz at what I'm doing 'wrong' :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'm gonna be harsh here WR. But I think its for the best, for you and more importantly anyone that has occasion to come across clips like above:
    Having viewed several of your vids:

It's rare that I come across one man that knows so little about so many things.
    You really need to reassess the sort of stuff you allow into the public domain.

I'm gonna be harsh here WR. But I think its for the best, for you and more importantly anyone that has occasion to come across clips like above:
    Having viewed several of your vids:

It's rare that I come across one man that knows so little about so many things.
    You really need to reassess the sort of stuff you allow into the public domain.

For me, sure my videos aren't perfect, but I don't set out to be perfect off the bat, we've gotta break a few omletes getting there. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod] lads we're all grown ups here, lets act like it. Attack the post and not the poster. Leave name calling out of it or take a break for a while [/mod]

Advertisement