Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Colmcille's Holy Well in Swords

Options
  • 27-02-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi, please, can anyone tell me where exactly this holy well is in Swords? I tried to look for info on the web, but there's nothing. The only website with co-ordinates had them wrong and led me to a totally different place.
    Thanks! ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi, I've found an old thread on the subject. There's a Google Maps street view in the first post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056476334

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thank you Dizzyblonde!!!
    I have searched the forum, but didn't find anything... it seems I'm not ggod enough :D
    Wow, it seems it's right in town, very close to Main Street and not far from the round tower.
    Thanks! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's only around the corner from a bus stop, and a short walk from the tower. It's a pity the well is locked though, but at least you can find the actual spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Stand in front of Peter Galvin's hardware facing the shop(opposite the garda station). Turn left, walk a few paces and take the right turn, down the hill. The well is on the left at the end of the apartment block, just at the start of the triangle.

Yes, the only useful detail that I had found on the web is that the well is locked, but the green water handpump is directly connected with the well itself.
    Next time I'll be in Ireland I'll have a try ;)
    Thanks a million!!!

• Advertisement

Pity it's locked up, it wasn't when we were kids. There's a steep narrow set of stone steps down, and at the bottom on the left there's a black wrought iron door and surround, maybe a foot square? Afair inside is a bit of a drop to a trough-like stone gulley where water trickles through. Needless to say there were no apartments there in my time.

Forgot to say there is an indent in one of the steps where it is said that st colmcille jumped from the round tower and landed there.

Roadsmart, thanks for the very interesting details and info you gave me, I really appreciated them.
    Browsing the web I have found a recent photo of a man who steps down to the water inside the well house. I could guess he was accompanied by someone who has the key.
    Many things have changed since we were kids, everywhere in the world, new houses where we used to play in the grass, protective measures have been taken in places that were freely accessible. The progress isn't always positive.
    Thanks to both of you for your prompt help and answers to my question. I'm still amazed by the kindness of the users of Boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm not going to lie, I thought this was about the housing estate.

I'm glad I know where the actual well is now, I'd heard of it but never knew where it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There was a former raf barracks further up that road toward the tower. Only torn down recently. :(

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    There was a former raf barracks further up that road toward the tower. Only torn down recently. :(

Was it not an RIC barracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

roadsmart wrote: »
    Was it not an RIC barracks?

Typo! :)

Pretty significant one at that! Apologies!

MugMugs wrote: »
    Typo! :)

Pretty significant one at that! Apologies!

I just didn't remember any planes landing on Brackenstown Road!:D

Advertisement