Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Craft Beer Pubs Around The City

Options
  • 27-02-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I've been in to the Crafty Frox a few times and it's a grand spot. I'm a fan of craft beers like the Galway Bay Brewery stuff, O'Haras, Dungarvan etc. and lots of international beers as well. I'm wondering what alternatives to the Crafty Fox if any exist? Where else is good for craft/foreign beers around the town and what sort of stuff do they have on tap? I suppose I'm just trying to build up a list of goto spots!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

squonk wrote: »
    I've been in to the Crafty Frox a few times and it's a grand spot. I'm a fan of craft beers like the Galway Bay Brewery stuff, O'Haras, Dungarvan etc. and lots of international beers as well. I'm wondering what alternatives to the Crafty Fox if any exist? Where else is good for craft/foreign beers around the town and what sort of stuff do they have on tap? I suppose I'm just trying to build up a list of goto spots!

The Blind Pig in Thomas Street is another good spot for craft beers. Tom Collins' pub in Cecil Street do some craft beers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Blind Pig / Dr. John's have a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

We're pretty limited down here. The Blind Pig has a good selection of bottles and draught, with a few kegs on rotation and a few cask beers too. They have galway bay in bottles. I have noticed that some of the staff are better at pouring than others, so just have a quick look around before you order, or you just might get a pint of sudsy mess!! Probobly the best selection in town tho. Mickey Martins has a few craft beers in bottles, and some european lagers on draught. They do the franciscan well beers. I've seen a few of the Shephards Neame beers in the Red Hen, and actually Bobby Byrnes have a decent enough selection, both Irish and european. Willie sextons have one or two (o'haras) as well.

The real beer craze seems to be slow moving down here, people stuck in their ways!

Nancys have a good euopean selection in bottles, very reasonably priced actually.
    Tom collins have a similar selection as nancys but a tad more expensive?? I could be wrong on this.
    The "little" part to Big Flannerys have the usual Irish selection including White Gypsy
    The Glen Tavern also have White Gypsy, their blonde beer is excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭squonk

Just the job RINO87! Exactly what I was looking for! Lots of options! Might pop into the Blind Pig later so if the rain holds off!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Plus one for Michael Flannerys.
    The White Gypsy that they have on tap there is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Coddle stone Joes has rebel red on tap. Bind pig as the best selection. Last time I was in crafty fox 2 weeks ago it was shocking very little on tap and the bar man was trying to push tiger!
    The curragower has some craft in bottels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

finatron wrote: »
    Coddle stone Joes has rebel red on tap. Bind pig as the best selection. Last time I was in crafty fox 2 weeks ago it was shocking very little on tap and the bar man was trying to push tiger!
    The curragower has some craft in bottels

The Crafty Fox always has dry taps. I had to take my 5th choice in there one night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Crafty Fox always has dry taps. I had to take my 5th choice in there one night.

It's been getting worse!

Blind pig shows there is a demand for proper beer in limerick just need to keep it simply aka salthouse in Galway

Yeah the Blind Pig will be my goto from now on I think for craft. I had a good night in there last night and no dry taps. I'd like to see the Crafty Fox do better so I've a choce of atmospheres but the dry taps thing is a big one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Limerick91 wrote: »

Blind Pig for the usual and unusual and Michael Flannery's for Franciscan Well, White Gypsy, Rebel Red on draught and 50 different bottles.
    I think the Crafty Fox is "circling the drain". Smoking area is now closed as well which is a bummer with all the winos on Denmark St bumming every time you go out for a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Limerick91 wrote: »

That stuff is lovely, didn't realise anybody in limerick sold it. There is a red one as well that's very food. Is Michael Flannerys the one on upper Denmark St. Don't like that pub. Bad experiences with staff being very poor service!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That stuff is lovely, didn't realise anybody in limerick sold it. There is a red one as well that's very food. Is Michael Flannerys the one on upper Denmark St. Don't like that pub. Bad experiences with staff being very poor service!

White Gypsy Blond is also in the Glen Tavern and the Blind Pig. I love it, but I don't like the Red at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Went into the crafty fox last night as a mate had a voucher for a pitcher of beer and a pizza. They only had Krombacher and Sam Adams on tap, and would only give a bottle of Coors or Bud per person with the pizza offer!

Absolute shambles, will not be going back. Went up to the pig afterwards and everything on the board was in stock, along with all the traps flowing perfectly.

Someone would want to tell the lads in the crafty fox that in order to run a craft beer bar you actually need to stock craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

It just goes to show that their heart really isn't in it. The lads in the Blind Pig have an enthusiasm for what they sell, that's why it works. The Crafty Fox is a half assed job.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

source wrote: »
    Went into the crafty fox last night as a mate had a voucher for a pitcher of beer and a pizza. They only had Krombacher and Sam Adams on tap, and would only give a bottle of Coors or Bud per person with the pizza offer!

Absolute shambles, will not be going back. Went up to the pig afterwards and everything on the board was in stock, along with all the traps flowing perfectly.

Someone would want to tell the lads in the crafty fox that in order to run a craft beer bar you actually need to stock craft beer.

Was the same over christmas, they only had 2 draught beers on with about 8 ortnamental taps along the bar. That and the unholy stink from the toilets put me off going there for good.

Now the toilets in the Blind Pig ain't much better, but at least they have what they say they have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I found the prices in the CRafty Fox pretty expensive. Or is that the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

seachto7 wrote: »
    Havent been to crafty fox but craft beers do come at a premium. Although I reckon offies make more on them than pubs. Ive said before here but if its an irish (which of them are irish Irish tho?) beer then at least more of your moola is staying in the country (although I do like german/belgian beers)

Had some good times in the franciscan well, coors involvement feels weird for craft though.

The bottles were very expensive. Most of them can be got at much better prices in Desmond's Next Door in Raheen or the O'Brien's Wines at the Parkway.

I didn't mind paying a fiver for a pint of Dark Arts or €6 for the Aspal cyder (which is fairly strong stuff) on tap. The stouts/porters were being served very cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

I find it much more expensive than The Blind Pig. Pity it isn't really working out, we need more of a variety than just one pub! I'm surprised the likes of Mickey Martin's aren't more into the craft beers...

• Advertisement

Well my 2cents is that I liked what the Crafty Fox are trying to do but it's not working. The place is too big and the music too loud. First time I headed in there was for a quick look at about 7:30 in the evening. It was empty enough but there were a few beers on and the music was fairly decent. Then some student type in front of the bar who was a friend of the owner decided he didn't like the music and changed it and bumped up the volume too. It was an atmosphere killer. The bands are good there but it's all a bit too much.

In the Blind Pig by comparison, I headed in there early enough last week too but the music was good. The place was quiet enough too but you could actually get chatting to people about beer and different styles. That's one aspect of craft beer I love, aside from the beer itself, the discussion of varous beers and styles is great and you can get turned onto a few things you wouldn't otherwise try that way.

I loved the Salt House in Galway for that reason. I ended up chatting many evenigns to lots of interesting people, some of them brewers themselves.

For any craft beer pub you need enthusiastic staff. I wans't always a craft beer officianado and i the early days when I walked into the likes of Salt House I didn't know what to order. The lads behind the bar were into their beer so pointed me in the right direction. I still used them as a resource later on for an odd random pick which was usually good as they knew what I drank.

Something that's telling is that after several trips to the Crafty Fox, I never had any real compulsion to go back. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the Blind Pig though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

€6 for any type of pint is WAY too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

squonk wrote: »
    I loved the Salt House in Galway for that reason. I ended up chatting many evenigns to lots of interesting people, some of them brewers themselves.

Ya the Salthouse is great and the staff are really sound and always ready to recommend a new beer. I wish I could say the same for the Bierhaus up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Blind Pig are opening a Coffee House and Vintage clothing store downstairs soon. No doubt it'll be full of hipsters :D

Anyone know if the red hen is doing craft beers? It a new bar on Patrick street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Not sure but its a kinda new faux hipster pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

they have some of the shephards neame stuff, the double stout and the IPA anyways. Hopefully they get more, i think they did a great job on the place.

Advertisement