Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Due September 2014 County Galway

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

I'm pregnant in County Galway/Clare boarder. As I'm scared of hospitals I absolutely want to have a home birth. Unfortunately I can't find any available midwives. I called all the midwives of homebirth.ie and hse lists.
    This leaves me very desperate :(
    I would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lilik wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm pregnant in County Galway/Clare boarder. As I'm scared of hospitals I absolutely want to have a home birth. Unfortunately I can't find any available midwives. I called all the midwives of homebirth.ie and hse lists.

What is it about hospitals that scares you? Is this something that you could work on in advance and then this would perhaps leave you more relaxed if you have no choice but to attend a hospital. In the event that you do obtain the option of a home birth then there is always the risk of you needing to be transferred to a hospital regardless.

Alternatively you could try a midwife led unit - this might be less frightening for you.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lilik wrote: »
    Hi there,

What scares you about hospitals? - have you seen the labour rooms in either hospital near you? They may have a birthing-suite type of room that is less clinical, or remove medical equipment from your room to make it more homely and put you at ease.

I'm sure they have plenty of women who feel similar to you that they try and put at ease whatever way they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Neyite wrote: »
    What scares you about hospitals? - have you seen the labour rooms in either hospital near you? They may have a birthing-suite type of room that is less clinical, or remove medical equipment from your room to make it more homely and put you at ease.

I'm sure they have plenty of women who feel similar to you that they try and put at ease whatever way they can.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. No one will want you to feel anything other than every bit as comfortable and relaxed as you possibly can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi Lilik,
    How did you get on? I have also been trying to access homebirth services in East Galway. I have been trying for the last 4 weeks since I discovered I was pregnant. Even though I'm not due till 13 October, the few SECMs in Galway all seem to be booked up.
    I am now trying to find more information on having a Private Homebirth, as my insurer will pay towards this, but will not cover extra costs if I use the HSE SECMs.
    Am really frustrated! It is a basic European Human Right for ALL women to choose where they would like to Labour/Deliver and who they would like to have present at their babies birth.
    All I can say is keep fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

would you think about having a hynobirth http://www.gentlebirth.ie/ it may relax you and allow you to feel comfortable in a hospital setting?

I would also second using the midwife-led clinic. speak to them beforehand about your fears, and plan fro a natural labour, like you would a homebirth

• Advertisement
Advertisement