Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevent other network users from affecting my Ping

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn I read about a way to do this yonks ago but google is failing me.

You know the deal, the GF is youtubing or using tumbler and I wanna play some BF4 but my ping will go crazy high and make the game unplayable. I'll even get kicked from servers.

Considering we've a 50mb line and gaming really doesn't need much bandwidth, is there not some way of splitting the connection some how?

Hell for gaming all I'd need is 1mb as long as its not being interrupted. Its like when ever her machine goes to do anything, all internet bandwidth goes straight to her.

Oddly enough I never had this problem where I last lived unless people were using torrents.

FYI we are both on wireless and both machines are in the same room as the wifi router.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Sisko wrote: »
    Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn I read about a way to do this yonks ago but google is failing me.

You know the deal, the GF is youtubing or using tumbler and I wanna play some BF4 but my ping will go crazy high and make the game unplayable. I'll even get kicked from servers.

Considering we've a 50mb line and gaming really doesn't need much bandwidth, is there not some way of splitting the connection some how?

Hell for gaming all I'd need is 1mb as long as its not being interrupted. Its like when ever her machine goes to do anything, all internet bandwidth goes straight to her.

Oddly enough I never had this problem where I last lived unless people were using torrents.

FYI we are both on wireless and both machines are in the same room as the wifi router.

If you have/can flash ddwrt to your router you can access Qos and give bandwidth priority to your ps4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

QoS (Quality of Service) table with priority for everything but port 80 / priority on BF4 ports. Also try to go wired if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I'm on PC myself and we have a UPC technicolor router ( http://gallery.dpcdn.pl/imgc/UGC/39235/g_-_-x-_-_-_39235x20130214114329_0.jpg )

I'm not seeing any of these option on the router. :confused: Anyone familiar with this one?

Any other options or more detailed advice?

Also as for a lan cable, my PC is across the room from the router and we'd rather not have a cable going across but would this actually fix the issue? Is it to do with wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Someone over here might be able to help you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950728

A cable is always best for gaming and will definitely improve the experience but how much it helps to share the bandwidth depends on what way the router is configured and often those settings are hidden on ISP routers. A dirty solution might be to use the cable for gaming and then force the router to use wireless b for WiFi which has a limit of 11Mbps

Ideally you want to put that router in bridged mode and buy a good router that you have full access to and that supports QoS for gaming such as one of the Asus routers. You might be lucky though and maybe you can configure QoS on that technicolor. Ask on that other thread

In your pic I think I can see another UPC modem/router. That might have different options.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You really shouldn't be having ping issues from just Youtube and Tumblr from one other machine on a 50mb line. Honestly, my first thought is your wifi rather than the router itself. Have you tested this to confirm it's just happening when your gf is using Youtube etc? If so, you need to get some ethernet cable and test if going wired fixes the problem. If so it's your wifi network acting up.

Wired is ideal, other options if you need to stay with wifi is putting a better router in there that has more reliable wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

nesf wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be having ping issues from just Youtube and Tumblr from one other machine on a 50mb line. Honestly, my first thought is your wifi rather than the router itself. Have you tested this to confirm it's just happening when your gf is using Youtube etc? If so, you need to get some ethernet cable and test if going wired fixes the problem. If so it's your wifi network acting up.

Wired is ideal, other options if you need to stay with wifi is putting a better router in there that has more reliable wifi.

Yeah i was thinking the same here, I'm on an xbox and a 35MB connection with 3 others doing god knows what while I'm playing and the pings are always a solid sub 30ms, heres a question OP does she have any thing related to cloud storage on her lap top or do you for that matter? You don't say how high the actual pings are, the reason I asked this is because my dad had a google drive client on his PC that syncs his files and photos to their servers but every now and again it would get stuck during a sync usually on a video file it didn't want to sync, it would go nuts trying to sync it and fail over and over driving up the pings to over 400ms until I'd get disconnected from xbox live or the game, took me ages to realise what was happening and track that down as there was no one in front ot the PC to see errors popping up, and because the app isn't usually on screen and plainly visible.

Have a look in the system tray and see if there are any apps like that running, not saying it will fix your problem but just something simple to rule out before you go messing with routers.

Sisko wrote: »
    I'm on PC myself and we have a UPC technicolor router ( http://gallery.dpcdn.pl/imgc/UGC/39235/g_-_-x-_-_-_39235x20130214114329_0.jpg )

Also as for a lan cable, my PC is across the room from the router and we'd rather not have a cable going across but would this actually fix the issue? Is it to do with wifi?

You don't need to have a cable across the floor. Pick up a pair of homeplugs, one connected to the router and one connected to the PS4. Tidy job!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I used to get ****ty lag/dc'd when my GF came online and started on youtube etc. We've a fraction of the line you have but replacing the crappy router that was supplied by the ISP with a decent one changed that.

Alternatively wired and QoS is the only way to go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

hallo dare wrote: »
    You don't need to have a cable across the floor. Pick up a pair of homeplugs, one connected to the router and one connected to the PS4. Tidy job!

They will still have increased latency compared to Ethernet. An option could be getting a better wireless router, attach it to your modrm and using that to broadcast a faster WiFi link.

5uspect wrote: »
    They will still have increased latency compared to Ethernet. An option could be getting a better wireless router, attach it to your modrm and using that to broadcast a faster WiFi link.

In my experience I was averaging around 30-40ms in game on ethernet and 40-60ms with powerline. If not for the ping counter in-game I really wouldn't have noticed. You get higher ping with powerline but it tends to be a lot more stable than wifi (assuming you've got it set up correctly to minimise interference).

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »

Can't say that's the result in my case. I have a pair of Solwise and i get a lovely 30ms-45ms always.

Like the OP said, he doesn't want a cable running along the ground, either did I. I went down the homeplugs road and think they're a gift of a job. Never suffered any latency on either my PS3 or PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A lot of people on this board have an irrational fear of wireless and seem to think they will get a better ping over wired Ethernet. It's baffling.

Assuming you have your router set up properly and don't have walls made out of Superman led, this simply isn't the case. My ping is 25ms to boards with wireless and it is 25ms when wired and I've seen similar findings in the dozens of networks I've set up over the years. There is often a few ms variance but if its any more than that, you have a problem but it is usually solvable.

Plugging in an Ethernet cable wont suddenly stop him getting lag spikes when his family use bandwidth intensive services like youtube and other video streaming sites.

A bandwidth limiting software on his PC or QOS on his router is what he needs....not magic beans advice guys.

Kirby wrote: »
    A lot of people on this board have an irrational fear of wireless and seem to think they will get a better ping over wired Ethernet. It's baffling.

Assuming you have your router set up properly and don't have walls made out of Superman led, this simply isn't the case. My ping is 25ms to boards with wireless and it is 25ms when wired and I've seen similar findings in the dozens of networks I've set up over the years. There is often a few ms variance but if its any more than that, you have a problem but it is usually solvable.

Plugging in an Ethernet cable wont suddenly stop him getting lag spikes when his family use bandwidth intensive services like youtube and other video streaming sites.

A bandwidth limiting software on his PC or QOS on his router is what he needs....not magic beans advice guys.

Qos as you said is the best way to really achieve what he needs , but you said it yourself about the walls. My house holds back on the Wifi transmittion, (block and foil backed slabs) so wifi isn't optimal for me, that's why i use the homeplugs. Everyone's case differs.

Kirby wrote: »

Christ, the advice has been to plug in an ethernet cable to rule out the wifi not as some magic cure. Wifi can easily be interfered with by you or a neighbour using 2.4GHz devices and 5GHz channels are not an option on many/most routers and PCs still. Or just bloody plain old EM interference from neighbouring gear that isn't shielded properly. Mounted high on a wall away from other electronics helps a lot but really isn't feasible for most people.

The main advice to go wired is because less can go wrong and it's not as sensitive to the environment. Not that it's impossible to get good performance out of wifi.

Also, Youtube isn't a bandwidth hog if he's getting anywhere close to even 30Mb on that line unless the router itself is crap. Getting 80Mb I've had no lag or ping issues with two Netflix streams running as well as Youtube, all at HD resolutions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

nesf wrote: »
    In my experience I was averaging around 30-40ms in game on ethernet and 40-60ms with powerline. If not for the ping counter in-game I really wouldn't have noticed. You get higher ping with powerline but it tends to be a lot more stable than wifi (assuming you've got it set up correctly to minimise interference).

I find that it really depends on where you're living. Some houses can have ****ty wiring making power line adapters tricky. Modern insulation or thick walls can affect WiFi. Currently my power line adapters are sitting in a drawer becuae I couldn't get them stable and I'm back to WiFi. My ping is fine between 30 and 40 since I'm gaming in the room directly over the modem.

Of course Ethernet will always be best.

Advertisement