Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lap Of Laois 2014

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey folks, here are the details for our 'Lap Of Laois' sportive which is taking place on Sunday the 23rd of March. The start point is Brian Stack House(formerly Beladd House, The Prison Service Training Centre) beside The Midlands Prison on... the Dublin Rd Portlaoise, sign on time is from 8am with the sportives starting at 9.30am. It has two routes of 60 and 125km (see routes below) with a nice hot shower and hot meal at the end and will cost 25 euro to enter with the money raised split between The Jack and Jill Foundation and The Cuisle Centre(cancer support unit) in Portlaoise.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/348388255 - 125km route

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/348404729- 60km route

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

I did this last year, a very enjoyable day out if a little chilly, looking forward to it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I still shiver at the thoughts of 'the cut' - I did that 2 years ago after starting cycling 2 months previous... think it was my fourth outing on a the bike and I stupidly went for the 100k route!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Well organised event the last couple of years, and two great causes. I'll be there! Now just need to think about getting some training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Complex CC

nilhg wrote: »
    I did this last year, a very enjoyable day out if a little chilly, looking forward to it again this year.

A little chilly, thats an understatement, but the year before we got sun burnt on it

RoboRat wrote: »
    I still shiver at the thoughts of 'the cut' - I did that 2 years ago after starting cycling 2 months previous... think it was my fourth outing on a the bike and I stupidly went for the 100k route!

I remember you said that on boards.ie after you did it, at least this year you have loads of cycling behind you so you should be leading up 'The Cut' so

• Advertisement

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Well organised event the last couple of years, and two great causes. I'll be there! Now just need to think about getting some training done.

Thanks Daithi, you are there every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

2 great causes see ye there

Thanks.
    A bit more training the next few days and hope to be there........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

OK lads whats 'the cut' I have being asked to do this next week and I need to compare it with somewhere like the gap INFO needed .

http://veloviewer.com/segment/697500

It's a longish climb, pretty much constant grade all the way, poor road surface (especially at the bottom) is the worst part of it really.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    http://veloviewer.com/segment/697500

It's a longish climb, pretty much constant grade all the way, poor road surface (especially at the bottom) is the worst part of it really.

OK thank you I do the gap every few days how does it compare to it is the average about 6%

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Carpenter wrote: »
    OK thank you I do the gap every few days how does it compare to it is the average about 6%

It's about 6km long and I think average is around 5%. One or two spots it kicks to 7% but not for very long.
    If you get up the Gap then you'll be fine on the cut. Assuming the pace isn't full on in which case we might all be in trouble :-) ha!

I think my Garmin usually reads 4% the whole way up on the side that we'll be doing it from. You climb for ages and then you see a mark on the road that says "Half way", but it's not a difficult climb compared to anything in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I think my Garmin usually reads 4% the whole way up on the side that we'll be doing it from. You climb for ages and then you see a mark on the road that says "Half way", but it's not a difficult climb compared to anything in Wicklow.
    Unless Daithi is pacing it

ashleey wrote: »
    Unless Daithi is pacing it

I'm so unfit this Spring, it's not even funny, although I have been financially doping over the winter, so we'll see how I go on Sunday. My tactic is not to get into the first group on the road and take it nice and easy to the food stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Could really do with another months training for this but may just give it a shot and see how I go:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Quick question. Me and a friend would love to do this, but the first train from Dublin only gets us into Portlaoise at 9.15. Would it be too late for us to go down and start then? Neither of us have done a sportive before. It would the 60k route we will be doing.

gadetra wrote: »
    Quick question. Me and a friend would love to do this, but the first train from Dublin only gets us into Portlaoise at 9.15. Would it be too late for us to go down and start then? Neither of us have done a sportive before. It would the 60k route we will be doing.

We are sending the 125km group off at 9.30 and holding the 60 km til 9.45 if this helps you, also its done at your own pace so there is nothing stopping you starting a little later, all the road signs will still be there and of course we'll keep hot food for ye at the end

OK lads whats 'the cut' I have being asked to do this next week and I need to compare it with somewhere like the gap INFO needed .

Which 'gap' are you talking about, the hardest thing about 'the cut' in particularly on the Lap Of Laois is that it comes with 80km in your legs, the climd itself is managable in regard to gradient its whatever you put into the cycle to the start of the climb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RST

All set for this tomorrow. It will be my first time over 100k this year with very little work done but at least the forecast is for a dry day.

• Advertisement

I'm going to miss it, sometimes real life gets in the way...........

Enjoy yourselves out there folks and save the attacks on the Cut till the 1km to go mark.........

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

I will be there but only to support the club. Had surgery to put collar bone back in place Thursday so unfortunately I cannot cycle just yet. I will be easily spotted tomorrow for any Boardsies that want to say hello as the arm sling will be in place. Weather looks like it will be cool but dry so enjoy the day.

And we are off I am the 1 with the planet x with the cosmic wheels say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Whoever was in charge of the wind deserves a slap =)
    Nice buffs at the start, good food half way and spicy!!! curry at the finish line
    All in all... one very happy and tired lassie

Great day really had a great time the wind was not great nice fast pace @ the start but had to wait for the mates after about 30k or so but a great day all in all thank you .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Enjoyed that - especially the curry at the end - thanks to all involved. If you could turn the wind down a bit I'll definitely be back next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

I second Colm18's post. Really enjoyed the spin. At least the wind was behind us going up the cut! Couple of milestones, 1st sportive, longest spin without a stop (usually a traffic light!) 60km, 1st time through the 100k barrier and longest spin to date. All in one go (if we don't count the food stop and the view stop up at the cut!)

That sneaky 8k extra at the end nearly killed me psychologically. Mental GPS kept moaning every time a sign said 'right turn' when it was expecting a left turn going through Portlaoise!!

Thanks complex....

Great day out. Nice hot curry at the end found the right spot and whoever was in charge of organizing the weather did a great job, cool, lots of sun and NO rain.

Perfect..............:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Well done to all concerned. Very well organised and signposted. Good food stop and curry at end very welcome.
    Quite a strong pace at start and the wind was a nightmare, especially on that long straight road after Vicarstown(?).
    While the Lap of Laois was tough, the lap around Portlaoise at the end was not welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gerard Slattery

I didn't appreciate the Portlaoise lap at the end either lads, bit dispiriting when you've thought you'd finished. Otherwise, well done Complex CC. It was well worth the trip from Mayo. Really enjoyed the Cut, and the resulting descents! And tat curry was great! Hope to see ye again next year. Ps if ye want scenery, quiet roads and some nice hills, do the Westportif on July 19th - great buzz!

Advertisement