Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Tiles - 1950s fireplace

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello,

We are based in Clontarf Dublin. We are missing tiles for a number of fireplaces in our house (see pictures) which our builders damaged irreparably in renovating. I know it might be hard to match, but does anyone know of anyone who might you have any for sale? You might someone doing up a house, taking fireplaces out? Any help would be appreciated. Am gutted that they were damaged - we're missing cream and dark brown.

I've emailed three salvage yards but to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi gangu
    try some off the construction salvage yards. Would possibly be the only place you might come across something like that.
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Yes, as my post said, I've emailed three but to no avail. If anyone could help, it'd be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Gangu wrote: »
    Yes, as my post said, I've emailed three but to no avail. If anyone could help, it'd be great.
    Imo emailing is useless.You need to go to the salvage yards with the tile in question to do an exact match or comparision with the reclaimed tiles they will have in stock.
    Also go and have a look in the skips of houses in your locality to see what the builders are throwing out.Also stop and ask the builder if he may be removing an old fireplace out of the house that would have the same tile you have in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Am trying those methods, currently have had no success but if anyone knows of anyone who might sell or give me these sorts of tiles I would be extremely grateful.

Gangu wrote: »
    Am trying those methods, currently have had no success but if anyone knows of anyone who might sell or give me these sorts of tiles I would be extremely grateful.
    Take a trip up and down St Lawrence road in Clontarf and have a look through all the big skips on that road.Lots of those red brick georgian style houses on that road being are being rennovated at the moment.Ask the various builders working away on your travels up and down that road.You might get lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

jpb14 wrote: »
    Take a trip up and down St Lawrence road in Clontarf ....... Lots of those red brick georgian style houses on that road

Nah, they're more Edwardian looking.

Nah, they're more Edwardian looking.
    And lots of them are allready converted or currently being converted into flats for maximum rental income.Quite alot of skips on that road at the moment,lots of building work and rennovation work going on down there,so Gangu might get lucky in the skips or by talking to the various builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SFB

We been trying to find somewhere that supplies those 1950s fireplaces as the originals were gone when we bought our house, had no joy yet in Ireland but did find the website of these guys in UK. I will PM you.

We haven't used them so not sure what they are like but it looks like they do reclaimed 50s fireplaces and supply the tiles so they might be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taytor

Hi we are about to renovate house and are removing 2 fireplaces. Welcome to have the tiles if they suit

Advertisement