Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you an example of being misunderstood?

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I was chatting about a certain group with some people online today and in reference to a particular group I asked User A: How did you find the group, User A? User A replied: From a newspaper advertisement.

I was asking her what her opinion of it it was obviously (or, not so obviously as the case may be).

I was thinking then about the actual phrase 'How did you find it?' And I was thinking, 'where the hell did we come up with such a question!' But then I was thinking that it could perhaps come from the English 'the lady was found to be in good health'. Findings!

Anyway, I'm probably not found to be in the whole of me senses right now, but have you ever been completely misunderstood, when speaking English?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

sopretty wrote: »
    I was chatting about a certain group with some people online today and in reference to a particular group I asked User A: How did you find the group, User A? User A replied: From a newspaper advertisement.

I was asking her what her opinion of it it was obviously (or, not so obviously as the case may be).

I was thinking then about the actual phrase 'How did you find it?' And I was thinking, 'where the hell did we come up with such a question!' But then I was thinking that it could perhaps come from the English 'the lady was found to be in good health'. Findings!

Anyway, I'm probably not found to be in the whole of me senses right now, but have you ever been completely misunderstood, when speaking English?
    The sense can change depending on which tense you use.
    "How did you fine the group?"
    "How do you find the group?"

However, misunderstandings may often occur in English, hence, in business good communication skills are important.

I remember, many years ago, some months after starting work, the manager, wanting some change for the till, gave a new young lad a five pound note and ask him to go and get five singles.

After some considerable time, the young lad arrived back with five bags of chips and the change.

The manager knew what he meant and the young lad knew what he understood; to him, a single was a bag of chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I was saying goodbye to an English person and I said 'good luck now'. They looked worried and asked 'why, is something going to happen?'

Advertisement