Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to establish year of street build

Options
  • 26-02-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I'm trying to establish exact year of street house build in Rathfarnham (thought to be 1904) but now after amateur online-only research:

> Street Not on 1912 OSI map (surveyed 1907 I think? ) from book "Rathfarnham Roads"
    > Census 1911 data for what could be the first 5 houses on the road if I'm correct
    > Street not on 1915,1916 Thoms directory excerpts I found online at least

Im beginning to think house was built post 1911 at least. What other online then library/hard copy resources to establish exact year of build of road but specifically house ?

Thanks for guidance ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

what's the name of the street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

in case anyone is wondering about this, as it continued by pm due to recent dates etc. The key elements were street numbers were often not used in areas which were rural back then, as much of Rathfarnham was, further clues can come from following people and houses through directories, and also from Cancelled Land books - Valuation Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Many thanks to Shane for his generosity of time and guidance (by PM) in this case.

My key learnings (an an amateur) use Thom's directory year by year in conjunction with OSI maps and census initially but move onto Cancelled Land Records at the Irish Life Centre, Abbey Steet . This I still have to do.

Advertisement