Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The internet is ****ed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

yeah nasty words are blocked here:)
    Thanks btw

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's a rambling inaccurate article. Though obviously I agree that Broadband access should be regarded as a Utility with a scheme for Universal access/Service Obligation.

But what chance of that in a country using 400,000 septic tanks instead of a sewerage system and huge number of individual wells and so called group water schemes (shared wells ?) with then resultant frequent contamination of group water and public drinking water from sewerage.

So what hope of a USO for Broadband when the Government wants to believe Mobile and Satellite provide Broadband (Internet Web browsing doesn't equal Broadband access!) when they probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

bealtine wrote: »
    Thanks btw

I was just wondering how he did it, but I see ould OBWan is an admin now!

Watty, there are plenty group water schemes that work very well (better than most local authority schemes), so I'm not sure that's a good analogy to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes there working Group Broadband too.

My point is that people from other countries are surprised that only Electric, Phone line, Phone book delivery and Post seem to be universal utilities. Even a septic tank done properly is fine. Except we don't (or didn't) check if it is fine.

He used his forceful personality to edit the link :)

I agree about the Local Authority thing, which proves we are rubbish at utilities. Why is Dublin taking water from Shannon instead of fixing the unknown (30% + ?) leaking in their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    Yes there working Group Broadband too.

My point is that people from other countries are surprised that only Electric, Phone line, Phone book delivery and Post seem to be universal utilities. Even a septic tank done properly is fine. Except we don't (or didn't) check if it is fine.

He used his forceful personality to edit the link :)

I agree about the Local Authority thing, which proves we are rubbish at utilities. Why is Dublin taking water from Shannon instead of fixing the unknown (30% + ?) leaking in their network?

Well the article is more about corporate greed and broken government, which resonates here too and how those same companies are trying to work out strategies for gouging on the internet...and how we must safeguard net-neutrality and the "common carrier principle" which has been the main driver of the internet to date, the last thing we need is "walled gardens". This says it all "Not the doublespeak bull**** of regulators and lobbyists, but the actual truth."

Yes broadband is a utility and we should consider it as such, if the fixed line telcos can't deliver then our only sensible solution and option is FWA

• Advertisement
Advertisement