Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber or Block workshop ?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi,

Been planning for the last 3 years to build myself a workshop but for one reason or another I could never get the finances together but I reckon this year could be the year!

I plan for a 20/24ft by 12ft workshop and Im just looking for opinions on whether I should build a wooden one or block ? Which will be cheaper ? I will do all the work myself regardless of method so my cost is just materials.

All your thoughts are welcome,

Regards,

Carra23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

For me i would go block make the roof good and high for an upstairs and insulate it well nothing worse than a cold drafty workshop

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

For me i would go block make the roof good and high for an upstairs and insulate it well nothing worse than a cold drafty workshop

Block built will be more expensive id imagine ? Will take longer to construct too. I guess I better price up both to see

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ya block would be more expensive all right i was quoted 10 grand for a shed cavity walls all plumbing electric doors double glazing or you could go for one of them insulated steel sheds all ya have to do is the raft they do the rest 5 grand would go along way on one of them http://www.steeltechsheds.ie/special-offers/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'd go for block for security - you will put a lot of pricey tools in there in a lifetime. No workshop is ever too big ( imho ) but you need height to manipulate planks etc - perhaps a mezzanine floor if only for storage.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

with what you want, a block built would be the best bet regardless of cost as maintenace on timber will cost you more or if you do go around a timber build with plaster finish, cost of insulating the timber they nearly compare to eachother but the biggest thing to consider before you start is ease of access, location of site, transfer of material, proximity to neighbours houses etc. Have you planning permission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    with what you want, a block built would be the best bet regardless of cost as maintenace on timber will cost you more or if you do go around a timber build with plaster finish, cost of insulating the timber they nearly compare to eachother but the biggest thing to consider before you start is ease of access, location of site, transfer of material, proximity to neighbours houses etc. Have you planning permission?

Access etc is fine and as far as Im aware planning is only required if you go over a certain height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Carra23 wrote: »
    Access etc is fine and as far as Im aware planning is only required if you go over a certain height.

I think the height might be 3m to ridge cap but you are limited by certain other measurements now I don't know these off the top of my head but I think if it's under 150square ft it's ok and be kept back 1ft from perimeter boundaries

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From one of the many CoCo sites regarding planning permission ...
    Can I build a garden shed on my property without permission?

Yes, provided that:

It is not forward of the front wall of the house;
    Not greater than 25sqm (or no. of sheds aggregated);
    25sqm of garden space is left. N.B. extensions attached to house are not reckoned as private open space;
    Shed finish is in keeping with the house;
    Shed height: max 4m pitched roof; 3m flat roof;
    It is not lived in or used for keeping of animals (pigs, ponies, horses, pigeons).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I'm in the same predicament myself, but I can't decide between building a steel shed or block this summer. Was going to build a 2x4 stud frame and fix steel sheeting. Spray foam in between stud frame and plywood walls. You mind me asking why your opting for wood instead of steel?

Advertisement