Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play Store: 'Insufficient storage space available' when sufficient?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hi

This has happened many times in the past and just now when I tried to install an app the Play Store output the error 'Insufficient storage space available'. I find this strange as when on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini running Android 4.1.2 I check Settings >> Storage >> it shows total storage 4.55GB but 383MB available.

I am am only trying to install small apps of a few MB, and the one I just tried to install, Cabbage Captcha, is only 7.2MB.

Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This has happened to me a few times and normally a reboot sorts the problem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Is your phone rooted ?

I've had this before when an app wouldn't download no matter what I tried turns out if you can access /data/app-lib/ and find the corresponding folder there delete it and then the app should download.

if you're not rooted then try uninstall the app then reboot then redownload.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Venom wrote: »
    This has happened to me a few times and normally a reboot sorts the problem out.

Not this time, what did you do when it unusually did not sort the problem?
    Ste- wrote: »
    Is your phone rooted ?

I looked at rooting but I think I stopped after I had trouble finding a comprehensive backup solution for my personal data and to use if wanting to restore the phone completely. Is there a quick way to confirm?
    I've had this before when an app wouldn't download no matter what I tried turns out if you can access /data/app-lib/ and find the corresponding folder there delete it and then the app should download.

/data/ is empty for me. Can you please give me the full directory location in case you are referring to something other than the data directory in the top level? I do not use an SD Card because my phone is so slow but there is no related file in /storage/sdcard0/data although strangely a TitaniumBackup directory, and there is just an rte directory in /storage/sdcard0/.data
    if you're not rooted then try uninstall the app then reboot then redownload.

The app is not there to uninstall unfortunately! Rebooted a few minutes ago, no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

/data/ is only viewable when you're root.

What's the app you're trying to install ?

/data/ is only viewable when you're root.

What's the app you're trying to install ?

Cabbage Captcha but I just tried Viber as it is the top selling Free and it gave the same error. When this happens it seems to be with all apps until I uninstall some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You're out of space to install anything else.
    Android won't let you install once you reach a certain lower limit of available free space. It needs this space to operate.

You'll need to delete some unused app or clear the cache in a few of them to free up some space :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Certain phones only have limited space available for apps install that is partitioned from normal apps. I'm not sure if there is a move to SD card for apps on that phone (certain apps can be installed outside the normal area) which will in turn allow you to install more apps. I used to have that problem on my old HTC Desire all the time.

If you can do that, go to Settings -> Apps, then click on each app and see there a Move to SD card button enabled. It is irritating, but once done once it will free up space. If this isn't available on an S3 mini, then sorry for wasting your time :)

This option is available without rooting too, so that's not needed.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You're out of space to install anything else.
    Android won't let you install once you reach a certain lower limit of available free space. It needs this space to operate.
    5starpool wrote: »
    Certain phones only have limited space available for apps install that is partitioned from normal apps. I'm not sure if there is a move to SD card for apps on that phone (certain apps can be installed outside the normal area) which will in turn allow you to install more apps. I used to have that problem on my old HTC Desire all the time.

Good to know it is to do with a lower limit rather than there is something wrong with my phone, thanks. I wonder if it is like a HDDs need a certain amount of free space to defragment, though SSDs do not need to defragment.
    5starpool wrote: »
    If you can do that, go to Settings -> Apps, then click on each app and see there a Move to SD card button enabled. It is irritating, but once done once it will free up space. If this isn't available on an S3 mini, then sorry for wasting your time :)

This option is available without rooting too, so that's not needed.

Move to SD card it is, although I do not have the option and from the two guides I read it seems it requires root. I will add it to the project list!

Any reason not to go with this Micro SD Card?

SanDisk MicroSDHC Ultra 16GB, Class 10, UHS-I, 30MB/sec, + SD adapter, Mobile move to sd card samsung s3 mini

Also, battery life seems to have deteriorated over time and a salesman in a phone shop tried to sell me a replacement before then telling me it will probably not make a difference. Would a new battery help? If battery life was extended I would probably go for a 32GB card as I might then be able to use it as a portable media player.

Advertisement