Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia M Vs Nokia Lumia 620

Options
  • 26-02-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which is better
    I know the Xperia M runs faster but Nokia has better battery life. And Im a bit cautious of Sony since my current one went slow after a few months and also happened with my friend. But it has Android too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Xperia runs faster? Windows Phone is one of the best optimised OS's available, i don't think the Xperia could be faster. Remember faster processor does not equal faster operation.

I've used android and Windows phone, i'd buy WP8 over android any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

TBi wrote: »
    Xperia runs faster?
    Yeah the Xperia has 1GB RAM and the Nokia 620 HAS 512MB
    Does RAM not make it go faster though?

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Yeah the Xperia has 1GB RAM and the Nokia 620 HAS 512MB
    Does RAM not make it go faster though?

Only makes it faster if/when you run out of memory. WP8 needs far less memory than Android so the memory limitation has less of an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why an Xperia M? A Moto G would probably be cheaper and is easily a better phone than either the Nokia or the Sony.

Why an Xperia M? A Moto G would probably be cheaper and is easily a better phone than either the Nokia or the Sony.
    02 doesn't do that phone. And I dont fancy moving and these two phones are cheaper as I can get 20% discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If it has to be between the two, then I really think the decision comes down to apps.

If you're just looking for a phone that does Facebook, Whatsapp and provides a reasonable internet browser, then the Nokia will do the job fine.

If apps are important to you though, then I would have to go with the Sony. Android has more apps, and gets app released faster for it than WP. Also, the extra RAM will help performance.

Also, a lot of apps/updates released by Nokia/Microsoft aren't supported on devices that have only 512MB of RAM. I suspect that updates and support are likely to cease for the 620 sooner than the Sony.

Also, a lot of apps/updates released by Nokia/Microsoft aren't supported on devices that have only 512MB of RAM. I suspect that updates and support are likely to cease for the 620 sooner than the Sony.
    Does that mean the soon 620 could be left out in the dark? That meanwhile other models can get updates on newer lumias I wouldnt be able too cos its too old?

I disagree. Companies selling android have a history of either taking ages to update old hardware and most of the time not at all. Mainly because each new version if android has to be modified to use that companies 'skin'/interface.

Every update microsoft releases is unmodified by nokia so the phones can be updated almost immediately.

Also, again, windows phone doesn't need as much memory as android. It isn't as bloated. My old windows phone had 512 mb of ram and it was very quick. I've used galaxy s3's that were slower.

Anyway you'll probably buy android because everyone has android. I buy windows phone because I like my sanity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

02 doesn't do that phone. And I dont fancy moving and these two phones are cheaper as I can get 20% discount

You could buy the Moto G from Meteor and get the unlock code for 2.50 EUR from eBay. Only takes a few hours to get the code and then you're good to go on O2.

Even though it's a little more expensive it's universally agreed to be the best value entry-to-mid level mobile going.

long_b wrote: »
    You could buy the Moto G from Meteor and get the unlock code for 2.50 EUR from eBay. Only takes a few hours to get the code and then you're good to go on O2.

Even though it's a little more expensive it's universally agreed to be the best value entry-to-mid level mobile going.

Well its not me thats buying it, its my parents for my birthday present, and they have been under a bit of money pressure cos my sisters wedding next month, and like its a phone more important to spend money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Well its not me thats buying it, its my parents for my birthday present, and they have been under a bit of money pressure cos my sisters wedding next month, and like its a phone more important to spend money on.

If money is an issue can I recommend doing a full reset on your current Sony phone first (assuming it's android) ?

Will very often bring performance levels back to zippy original.

NB YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR PHOTOS SMS ETC so make sure you have them backed up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

long_b wrote: »

Not sure if it's still the case, but the original batch of Moto G's from Meteor were semi sim free. They got locked to the network of the first sim card that's inserted.

So OP could buy one and just use a micro sim from O2.

Advertisement