Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New extension, new boiler, huge increase in bill

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea about this: We recently put on a single storey extension to re-jig the house to suit our daughter who is a wheelchair-user. The extension is 41 sqm and has two large vertical radiators. Our old boiler was a Ferroli Optimax HE25 which was only 3 years old, but the plumber told us it would not cope with the increased demand so it was replaced with an Ideal Logic System 30. Apart from the two new radiators the number of radiators in the rest of the house has stayed the same and all of our radiators have thermostatic valves. The extension is also super-insulated, way over "normal" spec and while there is quite a bit of glass, we have double-glazing throughout and also during the day there is a lot of solar gain (Irish weather permitting!). Owing to our daughter's medical needs we do run the house quite warm, but while we have not changed the times of our heating clock, nor the temperature for the thermostat since the boiler was replaced, our gas consumption in KWh for the last 4 months has doubled and I was wondering if that could be right? Appreciate any feedback thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 plumbingbuddy

Hi
    To start I presume you have brought this to the contractors attention. Changing your boiler to a 30 kw should not increase gas consumption by that amount. Few checks need to be carried out for the controls and boiler it self IE check the gas rate.
    If you need any advice feel free to PM me plumbingbuddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

First thing I would get the installer to check is a soundness test of the gas pipework to ensure there are no leaks.
    No need to PM for free advice. Free advice is readily available on the open forum. That's what Boards is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

shane0007 wrote: »
    First thing I would get the installer to check is a soundness test of the gas pipework to ensure there are no leaks.
    No need to PM for free advice. Free advice is readily available on the open forum. That's what Boards is for!

I totally agree that advice should be on the open forum. It gives the others the opportunity to learn from real live problems. One of the main advantages of the Boards forum.

Advertisement