Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get the thoughts of someone in Vis Com.

Options
  • 26-02-2014 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone who is in Vis Com (or someone who recently graduated) would be able to give me their thoughts on the course. I'm currently trying to decide on my preference for CAO. I can't make up my mind as to which course to put first, IADT vis com or DIT vis com. So if anyone would be able to give me their opinion on the IADT course or even how the IADT and DIT courses compare that would be great. I know my question is fairly vague but any sort of feedback would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wattiepad

Hey there, I'm a Vis Com student who's just finished her first year in IADT. First of all, if you are thinking of doing Vis Com at all, be it in IADT or DIT or wherever, be prepared that it is an INTENSE course. Studio hours are long (10-5 Tues to Friday, with Monday the only day of the week for lectures), and more often than not you'd find yourself doing some work outside of college hours. In saying that, if you really you put in enough effort into the course and really like what you're doing, the course itself is very rewarding. The first project of first year pretty much throws you into the deep end in my opinion; it was a Visual Research Methods module where we had to investigate flight and create prototypes that depicted said topic. I found it pretty hard because it wasn't what I expected to be doing when I started a Vis Com course. But I think once you get over the initial shock that college is so much different from the way education secondary school is operated, you'll be fine.

Generally tutors are helpful when you get guidance from them, though imo there are a few that aren't so great. In first year you get to do a broad range of stuff like screen-printing, book design and making a stop motion video. I don't know what VC in DIT is like honestly, but if you want to take a look at the IADT Vis Com 2013 graduates' website, it's cheersforthat.com . Some great stuff over there, and it's a glimpse of the type and quality of work you might end up doing here in IADT.

Anymore questions feel free to ask :)

Advertisement