Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire S7 391 4GB Ram 128GB SSD i5

Options
  • 25-02-2014 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Saw this on e-bay deals US Acer Aspire S7 391

It works out roughly at €608 (Roughly!!!) if shipped with Shipito and factor in Import Duty.

The same one is £899 Sterling on amazon.co.uk Look here

Has anyone used this before?

I've been looking for an ultrabook and this seems the best bargain by far???

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I think it was supposed to be quite good with some flaws. I've been looking at ultrabooks lately and the standout of the lot is the followup to this Acer the S7-392.

It looks great so it may be worth comparing between the two. The other option was a HP Spectre 13 ultrabook. Might give you some ideas when you're looking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It works out roughly at €608 (Roughly!!!) if shipped with Shipito and factor in Import Duty.

Any help appreciated.

Just point to note- thats a refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

TFT Screen, Big and Heavy. I'm buying this for portability and a big part of my work is graphics so need 1080p screen.

Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

TFT Screen, Big and Heavy. I'm buying this for portability and a big part of my work is graphics so need 1080p screen.

Thanks though.

it says it doesnt ship to ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Have a look at the Laptops forum over in Tech, they have a sticky called "Buying a laptop: Current Generation" which will get you a better spec laptop than searching online, and from the one above.

Even asking for advice on what to buy might be a good idea, though I advise posting up some of the ones you have looked at and you may get shown some better value / spec ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Any help appreciated.

I bought it. Fair enough it's refurbished but for this type of ultra portable you will not get these specs for a better price period. it's essentially a mac book air only it looks better :) it's a great deal. Better for me probably since my folks are going to the US next month so are picking it up for me there ;)

but per the other posters here, you won't get a similar ultra portable at this price. you will absolutely get a more powerful or equally powerful one but not in ultra portable form.

00sully wrote: »
    I bought it. Fair enough it's refurbished but for this type of ultra portable you will not get these specs for a better price period. it's essentially a mac book air only it looks better :) it's a great deal. Better for me probably since my folks are going to the US next month so are picking it up for me there ;)

but per the other posters here, you won't get a similar ultra portable at this price. you will absolutely get a more powerful or equally powerful one but not in ultra portable form.

How did you purchase and arrange for pick up next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

How did you purchase and arrange for pick up next month?

ah my sister lives in NY :pac:

Samsung series 5 ultrabook (refurb) on amazon for 460pounds add a 120gb ssd for 55 pounds
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-540U3C-13-3-inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00B18RRDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1393422166&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+series+5+ultrabook
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-120GB-2-5-inch-Adapter/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1393422259&sr=1-1&keywords=120gb+ssd
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Drive-Caddy-Enclosure-Laptop/dp/B002UZO07C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393422699&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+2.5+enclosure
    comes to about 630 euro bit more but then u get an extra 2gb of ram better processor and find a usb hdd case for a tenner on ebay and u have a 500gb external usb hdd
    also u get samsung build quality. after going through 2 acers and seeing many more break would never get one again, they are cheap and shoddy

• Advertisement

00sully wrote: »
    it's essentially a mac book air only it looks better :)

Apart from its made from plastic instead of metal?
    smart cars are also essentially a mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Its actually made of metal and gorilla glass. Its very sturdy and rigid.

I have the laptop myself for about a year - I really like it. I paid €1000

Very very light and portable. Screen is incredible, as is the build quality.

Touchscreen with Win 8 works very well.

Very fast due to SSD.

Only let down is the battery which is generally 4-5 hours.

There's a newer version out which has a 7-8 hour battery life.

I'd reckon that one over this.

Apart from its made from plastic instead of metal?
    smart cars are also essentially a mercedes

It's brushed Aluminium body

Its actually made of metal and gorilla glass. Its very sturdy and rigid.

I have the laptop myself for about a year - I really like it. I paid €1000

Very very light and portable. Screen is incredible, as is the build quality.

Touchscreen with Win 8 works very well.

Very fast due to SSD.

Only let down is the battery which is generally 4-5 hours.

There's a newer version out which has a 7-8 hour battery life.

I'd reckon that one over this.

300 Quid more (at least) though for the s7 392 i5 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OH got this yoke from Ebay.UK a few months back .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151159929875?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

We added extra 4GB DDR3 MEMORY for extra £30 as far as I can remember ,used Parcel Motel in the process as they won't ship to Ireland .

Delighted with the lappy , extra 4GB RAM makes a real difference .

I know that info is not relevant to OP but just wanted to brag :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I had this for a while, but I think my one was a bit of a dud. It used to power off randomly, some of the keys repeated a lot or didn't recognise when I pressed them, so I sent it off for repair. It took acer 2 months to send it back, they fixed none of the problems and they also dropped it on the ground and bent one of the aluminium corners.

That was just my personal experience. They fully refunded me when I returned the laptop, and I got a lenovo yoga instead.

I had this for a while, but I think my one was a bit of a dud. It used to power off randomly, some of the keys repeated a lot or didn't recognise when I pressed them, so I sent it off for repair. It took acer 2 months to send it back, they fixed none of the problems and they also dropped it on the ground and bent one of the aluminium corners.

That was just my personal experience. They fully refunded me when I returned the laptop, and I got a lenovo yoga instead.

What do you think of the Yoga? Im looking at a Yoga Pro 2 also

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

As far as I know the Yoga 2 is an improvement in every way over the original Yoga I have. Having said that I think the original is wonderful. I prefer the increased travel in the keys over the S7 keyboard, and better touchpad. The screen in mine is lower resolution than the S7 (1600 x 900), but as I'm sure you know the Yoga 2 has a super high screen resolution. How programs will scale to that we will have to wait and see.

I found scaling on the 13.1" 1920 x 1080 S7 for the Engineering software and video editing software to be not exactly optimal. Plus it tried applying automatic DPI settings to everything which made all the font blurry (even Chrome) It got better when I disabled that feature one program at a time.

Yoga is certainly thicker than the S7, but definitely still a nice slim laptop compared to most. It's a much more discrete looking laptop, but that might just be a reflection on how much the white panelling, light up logo, glass and aluminium of the S7 stands out from the crowd.

The S7 392 has apparently fixed not only the poor battery, but also my previous complaints in relation to keyboard/touchpad.

From a combination of personal experience and reading about the two of them I would rank them like this:

S7 391 < Yoga 1 < (S7 392/Yoga 2 - both have Pros and Cons which make them pretty much level)

Advertisement