Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch to BordGais electricity & get €40 cashback

Options
  • 25-02-2014 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Switch to us for Electricity with Level Pay and Paperless Billing and get:
    Lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland
    10% discount off the lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland
    €40 Cashback credited at the end of 12 months
    Offer is available to 09/03/14. 10% Discount off our standard electricity unit rate for 12 months and 5% thereafter until 9th March 2015 when you sign up to Level Pay and paperless billing. €40 cash-back credited at the end of 12 months. Lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland based on competitor prices on 06/02/14 and Bord Gáis Energy prices on 01/03/14
    http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/electricity/join/
    http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/electricity/join/40-cashback-Terms-and-Conditions.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Be aware though that level pay is only suitable for people with a couple of years of bill history at the same address! otherwise it could mean massive bill shock. The company are also very poor with billing and correcting any billing errors from my own experience with them for gas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Bord Gais are ramping up their prices again from next month onwards.CER approved their price increase today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

So which company would be the best to change to? Currently with Electric Ireland but due a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm with Airtricity atm. They just have emailed me my bill for Jan/Feb. €520:eek:

That's up by around €200 on last year, and even over the Christmas period.

We're in a modest sized house, with a stove in the living room. So gas only on for an hour in morning (6-7am) and evening (6-7pm) mainly for hot water.

Both my wife and I be in bed most evenings between 10and 11. And both work full time.

Just me the wife and 2 kids under 4. Someone's taking the Mickey here. I'll be switching soon I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

So which company would be the best to change to? Currently with Electric Ireland but due a change

Check your options on www.bonkers.ie or www.uswitch.ie

Did this just yesterday, and am switching from BG Electricity to Electric Ireland who were cheaper by about 50euro a year.

(no affiliation to either website)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

I'm with Airtricity atm. They just have emailed me my bill for Jan/Feb. €520:eek:

We're in a modest sized house, with a stove in the living room. So gas only on for an hour in morning (6-7am) and evening (6-7pm) mainly for hot water.

Both my wife and I be in bed most evenings between 10and 11. And both work full time.

Just me the wife and 2 kids under 4. Someone's taking the Mickey here. I'll be switching soon I imagine.

Wow that is massive - what was the breakdown of charges for gas and electricity?

rochestown wrote: »
    Wow that is massive - what was the breakdown of charges for gas and electricity?

Yeah they say 244 for electric, and 278 for gas.

Not happy. :mad:

Holy foooks sake would be an understatement.:eek:
    My gas was only 48 euro for last 2 months and 99 for the electricity with EI.Changed over to Energia since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

jpb14 wrote: »
    My gas was only 48 euro for last 2 months
    What sort of house do you live in? That seems very low. Standing charge would be about €17 alone.

I was delighted to get mine down to €203 for 30 Nov - 06 Feb. Gas was twice as much last year before insulating and getting rid of the gas oven

With Flogas 5.135 / kWh + vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bord Gais are a brutal company to deal with in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

do you honestly believe the price has gone up nearly 40%

you consumption has increased, dramatically, you need to look closer at the bills to see that your reads are based on actuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Is the unit price up 40% or has your consumption gone up 40% if the lattter you might need your boiler looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I bet all your previous bills where estimated and then they took a proper reading, every month you get a bill do you check the estimated reading is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

House size etc are irrelevant.

Divide your bill by number if units used and compare cents / kwh

No Point jumping to another company if you get a high bill. The other company needs to have a lower price per unit. Inclusive of standing charges etc

do you honestly believe the price has gone up nearly 40%

No.

you consumption has increased, dramatically, you need to look closer at the bills to see that your reads are based on actuals.

No. If anything it has decreased. We are in the house less and less now due to the wife going back from part time to full time, and regardless of that fact, we have a stove on the go over the winter months.

To summarise, the gas usage hasn't altered from the summer months as all we use it for is heating the water for the kids bath in the morning and the evening.
    Cooking methods haven't changed, and the boiler itself has recently been serviced by none other than Airtricity themselves (or a subcontractor of theres) via a sales telephone call from them.

I suspect an error. Or as previously suggested estimated bills/actual readings.

Incidentally, our house was (back in Jan) worked on by water meter . I wonder if the gas pipes and water pipes are in close proximity that one could have been damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

All that can be used to calculate an accurate bill is whatever it says on the meter, which is consumption, nothing else. Changing supplier won't make a difference to that. Otherwise it's estimates, which you can rectify by sending in your own readings. I've heard Airtricity seems to send estimated bills that are wildly out of sync with the usage at the premises. Although how accessible is your meter for the meter-reader?

groom wrote: »
    What sort of house do you live in? That seems very low. Standing charge would be about €17 alone.

I was delighted to get mine down to €203 for 30 Nov - 06 Feb. Gas was twice as much last year before insulating and getting rid of the gas oven

With Flogas 5.135 / kWh + vat
    4 bedroom semi d.House is a quite recently built well insulated build and BER rated B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

jpb14 wrote: »
    4 bedroom semi d.House is a quite recently built well insulated build and BER rated B.

I'm jealous. Sounds toasty. Glad to hear new houses are actually well insulated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

All that can be used to calculate an accurate bill is whatever it says on the meter, which is consumption, nothing else. Changing supplier won't make a difference to that. Otherwise it's estimates, which you can rectify by sending in your own readings. I've heard Airtricity seems to send estimated bills that are wildly out of sync with the usage at the premises. Although how accessible is your meter for the meter-reader?

airtricity gets the exact same reads sent to them that esb and board gais get, ad their estimations are based on the same formula i imagine, what do you mean tht they are out of sync? I dont think people undestand how similar all the suppliers are, it all comes down to customer service thats the difference IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

airtricity gets the exact same reads sent to them that esb and board gais get, ad their estimations are based on the same formula i imagine, what do you mean tht they are out of sync? I dont think people undestand how similar all the suppliers are, it all comes down to customer service thats the difference IMO

They may get them, but they aren't capable of using that data.
    I do bill verification for large energy users, and the amount of times I see bad bills from Airtricity is embarrassing.

i suspect that there reputation for been incompetent is why they are re branding to the parent brand. "SSE"

• Advertisement

groom wrote: »
    I'm jealous. Sounds toasty. Glad to hear new houses are actually well insulated
    Unfortunately they still aint,alot of it was down to us and the architect telling the buillder the spec we wanted and paying or extras on the energy efficiency front.We made sure that he did what he was paid to do and used the extra money on the insulation front.Solar and stove also plays a part as we have access to lots of free firewood and felled trees.Also humans create heat themselves so if a space is well insulated then just having the house occupied and having people moving around in the house will actually heat the space from human heat.

ted1 wrote: »
    They may get them, but they aren't capable of using that data.
    I do bill verification for large energy users, and the amount of times I see bad bills from Airtricity is embarrassing.

i suspect that there reputation for been incompetent is why they are re branding to the parent brand. "SSE"

lol because SSE has a great rep...

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Looking at switching my energy providers and maximising cashback. I am currently with Electric Ireland for Electricity and SSE for Gas.
    If I switch over the 2, I should get €135 as a new electricity customer of SSE and €175 as a new gas customer of Electricity Ireland.

If I move to Electric Ireland for gas, do I qualify as a new customer for the cashback?
    If I move to SSE for electricity, do I qualify as a new customer for the cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

One Big Switch have an offer at the moment with Bord Gais which may be worth looking at for both new and existing customers

Techless wrote: »
    One Big Switch have an offer at the moment with Bord Gais which may be worth looking at for both new and existing customers
    Any idea what the saving is for an average household? I spend €520 a year on Gas and €520 on Electricity. Using Bonkers to switch I will save €30 on electricity (Bord Gais) and get €175 cashback, and I'll save €40 on gas (Electric Ireland) and get €175 cashback.
    So should be nearer to €300 for each in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Any idea what the saving is for an average household? I spend €520 a year on Gas and €520 on Electricity. Using Bonkers to switch I will save €30 on electricity (Bord Gais) and get €175 cashback, and I'll save €40 on gas (Electric Ireland) and get €175 cashback.
    So should be nearer to €300 for each in 2018.

"We're currently offering the cheapest electricity and dual fuel offer in the Irish market.

In case you missed it, TV3, RTE and the Irish Independent have all covered the launch of the offer and have all stamped their mark of approval.

"The One Big Switch campaign has done a deal with Bord Gáis that will see those who sign up saving hundreds of euro on electricity and making big discounts on dual fuel.

The deal also applies to existing Bord Gáis customers if they register with One Big Switch, which is free - the first time existing clients are getting the same discount as new ones.

Those who sign up can save €217 on electricity and €408 on dual fuel."

- Charlie Weston, Irish Independent

That's right both new AND existing Bord Gais Energy customers can take it. "

This is the blurb on the email I received.

Techless wrote: »
    "We're currently offering the cheapest electricity and dual fuel offer in the Irish market.

In case you missed it, TV3, RTE and the Irish Independent have all covered the launch of the offer and have all stamped their mark of approval.

"The One Big Switch campaign has done a deal with Bord G that will see those who sign up saving hundreds of euro on electricity and making big discounts on dual fuel.

The deal also applies to existing Bord G customers if they register with One Big Switch, which is free - the first time existing clients are getting the same discount as new ones.

Those who sign up can save €217 on electricity and €408 on dual fuel."

- Charlie Weston, Irish Independent

That's right both new AND existing Bord Gais Energy customers can take it. "

This is the blurb on the email I received.
    I think the cashback offers are better. On cashback alone I'll get €350 back. And another €100 saving from moving plans.
    The numbers quoted there are most likely for high usage customers with inefficient houses and/or large families.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

This is an old thread, please start a new one with your query at the requests forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement