Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistling Bridge

Options
  • 25-02-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Seems our Whistling bridge, aka Shannon Bridge has just now had a new name change again. It's now called JFK bridge. More money wasted. I didn't hear anybody complain about the name. JFK won't care. Honest to god - why do they do these stupid things. Be more in their line if they put their time and energy and our money towards things like the "Blood Bike Mid West" initiative.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How much is it going to cost to rename? Maybe a new plaque?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

LB6 wrote: »
    More money wasted.

How much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

outside of the cost i think people just come up with an idea that will justify their jobs for a year or so.. ie im working on the renaming of the shannon bridge for the next 18 months. Someone else might come up with swapping everyone on the 3rd floor with everyone on the 2nd floor etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

betonit wrote: »
    outside of the cost i think people just come up with an idea that will justify their jobs for a year or so.. ie im working on the renaming of the shannon bridge for the next 18 months. Someone else might come up with swapping everyone on the 3rd floor with everyone on the 2nd floor etc.

Nothing to do with justifying jobs for civil servants. It purely down to idiot councillors. Cllr Pat Kennedy proposed it and 6 other idiot councillors voted with him to change the name. This is despite asking for public opinion, which was generally against the idea.
    They're also renaming the square in front of the court house / city hall Brian Boru Square.

Nothing to do with justifying jobs for civil servants. It purely down to idiot councillors. Cllr Pat Kennedy proposed it and 6 other idiot councillors voted with him to change the name. This is despite asking for public opinion, which was generally against the idea.
    They're also renaming the square in front of the court house / city hall Brian Boru Square.

totally agres...what i mean is people doin things for the sake of it justifying thier positions as in theyre getting things done how ever menaingless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Proposed by Cllr Patrick Kennedy
    Cllr Kennedy had argued that JFK had close ancestral ties with Limerick, was a Freeman of Limerick and also visited the city during his 1963 trip to Ireland.
    Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

jbkenn wrote: »
    Proposed by Cllr Patrick Kennedy

Enough said.

His ancestral ties are to Bruff aren't they? nothing to do with the city, we already have JFK school so don't see why we need the bridge which has nothing to do with JFK to be named after him, its a truly pointless exercise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How long will it be before everything and one is called JFK?

maybe we could call the new universal health scheme obamacare..

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

should be called sean south after our own local hero,the other one is called after patrick sarsfield. was jfk even from limerick???? keep it local..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

daveob007 wrote: »
    should be called sean south after our own local hero,the other one is called after patrick sarsfield. was jfk even from limerick???? keep it local..

His ancestors were from the Bruff area I think

Local hero?, you are joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Still the new bridge to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

God the Yanks must think we are a right dumb shower when they come over here, imagine every major city in America doing something equally daft like having a St. Patricks day parade....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Still the new bridge to me.

+1, me too!
    But just out of curiosity?
    Was this not ''named'' as the Condell bridge some years ago?(and a quick google of ''condell bridge'' brings it up as top result)
    I know the road was, but I was fairly sure the bridge was too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Err what? Sean South was a terrorist, not a hero...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

testicle wrote: »

It all depends on your interpretation of history, there are people who consider JFK, Blair, Bush, Pat Rabbitte etc. to be terrorists.

Plenty of places in Limerick and across the country named after terrorists anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

De Valera bridge has a nice ring to it after all he was raised here and actually did things for ireland. But god forbid we have any pride well just keep flying stupid flags on the bridges anyway but you won't see a tri colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

De Valera bridge has a nice ring to it after all he was raised here and actually did things for ireland. But god forbid we have any pride well just keep flying stupid flags on the bridges anyway but you won't see a tri colour.

Would sooner have had it called Harris bridge than De Valera bridge tbh. :)

Really don't see why it actually needed a name change though. The name it had was fine, and seems pointless to have changed that name.

No doubt some idiot councillor will claim that it will now become a massive tourist attraction due to the namechange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Will always be the Shannon Bridge when I think of it. They'll be renaming the skate-park beside it next :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭James McNulty

131spanner wrote: »
    Will always be the Shannon Bridge when I think of it. They'll be renaming the skate-park beside it next :o

The "Willie O'Dea Memorial Skate Park for Youngsters Who Don't Skate Too Good"

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would sooner have had it called Harris bridge than De Valera bridge tbh. :)

Really don't see why it actually needed a name change though. The name it had was fine, and seems pointless to have changed that name.

No doubt some idiot councillor will claim that it will now become a massive tourist attraction due to the namechange.

Didn't take long for that to happen (from the Limerick Leader):

“I’m delighted. I would like to thank the people of Limerick for their support. JFK was the first American president to visit Ireland during his term of office. It has great implications for the tourism business, and there’s a huge amount of potential there,” he said.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/row-erupts-in-limerick-over-renaming-of-bridge-after-jfk-1-5901665

Ciir Patrick Kennedy
    This is the same guy who could'nt remember that the car he was claiming mileage expenses for, was actually off the road...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exsenator-repaid-1700-after-expenses-questioned-26778313.html

Kess73, don't edit my posts

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Didn't take long for that to happen (from the Limerick Leader):

“I’m delighted. I would like to thank the people of Limerick for their support. JFK was the first American president to visit Ireland during his term of office. It has great implications for the tourism business, and there’s a huge amount of potential there,” he said.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/row-erupts-in-limerick-over-renaming-of-bridge-after-jfk-1-5901665

What out Golden Gate Bridge,you have competition!

What a whole pile of crap. I really do despair for the quality of our elected officials in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squonk

panda100 wrote: »
    What out Golden Gate Bridge,you have competition!

What a whole pile of crap. I really do despair for the quality of our elected officials in Limerick.

I think that's true outside of Limerick as well. Sadly Frank Hall's Ballymagash Council is still alive and well 40 years on :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

relaxed wrote: »
    It all depends on your interpretation of history, there are people who consider JFK, Blair, Bush, Pat Rabbitte etc. to be terrorists.

Plenty of places in Limerick and across the country named after terrorists anyway.

Ah, but that was during the war of independence. Sean South wasn't even born during the war of independence...

He was killed by the RUC during an IRA raid on their station in Fermanagh.

was james connolly and padraic pearse also what you call terrorists,,at least these men got off their backsides to do something................sean south was a hero............ or how about some great limerick sportsman/woman.

Ah, but that was during the war of independence. Sean South wasn't even born during the war of independence...

He was killed by the RUC during an IRA raid on their station in Fermanagh.
    you could say he was killed by ruc terrorists while fighting to rid our country of a foreign race.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

you could say he was killed by ruc terrorists while fighting to rid our country of a foreign race.

A foreign race? LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

The Rubberbandits got it right with this suggestion -

"On the Shannon Bridge there should be a plaque reading ‘Dr William Brooke O’Shaughnessy Bridge’ with a picture of a hash leaf on the plaque. Also, through clever acoustic engineering of the bridges railings we could get it to whistle out the opening melody of ‘Kingston Town‘ by UB40 whenever there’s a strong breeze. This would also pay homage to the bridge’s former folk name of “the singing bridge”.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/02/07/rubberbandits-whistle-ub40-tunes-on-city-bridge/

Advertisement