Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook or by Crook

Options
  • 25-02-2014 3:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does this sell out quickly? Entries opening on Saturday and thinking of entering just wondering how much thinking time I have. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Does this sell out quickly? Entries opening on Saturday and thinking of entering just wondering how much thinking time I have. :)

Yeah sells out fairly fast alright but they normally have a second date to register if u missed out in the first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Entries now open- get in there RQ, its a great race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah I'm in remembered at about 9:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vegas elvis

First round of entries sold out on Saturday, it's open again Thursday the 13th of March at 8 pm for the last 240 spots

http://waterfordtriathlonclub.com/news/61-2nd-round-of-entries-for-hook-or-by-crook-2014

Anyone know if this is usually an early start? Hoping to actually do this race :rolleyes: and can't find any info about it anywhere...trying to decide whether I'm going to travel on the morning or stay closer to Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ructions

Anyone know if this is usually an early start? Hoping to actually do this race :rolleyes: and can't find any info about it anywhere...trying to decide whether I'm going to travel on the morning or stay closer to Dunmore East.

Usually starts at 12. I read on a document published by waterford triathlon club which they later removed that the first wave this year was at 11. That's not confirmed yet though but gives you a idea of the start time.

ructions wrote: »
    Usually starts at 12. I read on a document published by waterford triathlon club which they later removed that the first wave this year was at 11. That's not confirmed yet though but gives you a idea of the start time.

Thanks a mill...hopefuly a late start then. Since I'm also working that day I can get some work done before I leave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I think last year it might have started a bit earlier because it was rescheduled but previous years it went off at 12 IIRC.

Provisional results from todays race can be found on the Waterford Tri website. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Time to put on the after-sun now!

http://waterfordtriathlonclub.com/news/77-provisional-results-for-hook-or-by-crook-2014

Elvis (Waterford Tri)

Absolutely brutal bike split for me. Over 44 minutes is shockingly pathetic. Had nothing on the bike, maybe I should have joined one of the pelotons that overtook me....

Other than the pelotons a very good race, why were people walking up the ramp? :mad:
    I've a recorded time of 16:58, so I'm taking 1:19 from that for the run up the ramp and a sub 15 swim :P

• Advertisement

Absolutely brutal bike split for me. Over 44 minutes is shockingly pathetic. Had nothing on the bike, maybe I should have joined one of the pelotons that overtook me....

Other than the pelotons a very good race, why were people walking up the ramp? :mad:
    I've a recorded time of 16:58, so I'm taking 1:19 from that for the run up the ramp and a sub 15 swim :P

I can't speak for others but I hopped up the ramp because I pulled something in my groin/hip and couldn't run the last 2km. Very disappointing finish for me but great race from waterford tri club as always. Well done to all involved!

I can't speak for others but I hopped up the ramp because I pulled something in my groin/hip and couldn't run the last 2km. Very disappointing finish for me but great race from waterford tri club as always. Well done to all involved!

Was wondering what happened ye when I saw your run time. It wasn't you in my way anyway ;)

Provisional results from todays race can be found on the Waterford Tri website. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Time to put on the after-sun now!

http://waterfordtriathlonclub.com/news/77-provisional-results-for-hook-or-by-crook-2014

Elvis (Waterford Tri)

Brilliant race today, you and Waterford Tri should be very proud of the whole event. The few criticisms people had from last year were worked on and implemented. A much better transition area. KM signs during bike and run. Thorough bike checks after. Its great to see this sort of effort to make the day such a success. Everything else was super slick, and the hot weather made for a carnival atmosphere in the village. Well done to you all.

And- to top it all- what an amazing place to swim!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Brilliant race today, you and Waterford Tri should be very proud of the whole event. The few criticisms people had from last year were worked on and implemented. A much better transition area. KM signs during bike and run. Thorough bike checks after. Its great to see this sort of effort to make the day such a success. Everything else was super slick, and the hot weather made for a carnival atmosphere in the village. Well done to you all.

And- to top it all- what an amazing place to swim!

Thanks Kurt, glad you enjoyed it. Was that you in the Tinahely tri gear? - I was marshaling that part of transition

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dogtanian7

The swim seemed a bit long, does anyone know what the exact distance was? My garmin said 950m but that was probably my zig zagging

Thanks Kurt, glad you enjoyed it. Was that you in the Tinahely tri gear? - I was marshaling that part of transition

Yeah, that was me. Really enjoyed the whole thing, well done again. Such a positive part of the world down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

By any chance was that you who pulled up 2 from the finish on the run with a hip prob.?.

Ceepo wrote: »
    By any chance was that you who pulled up 2 from the finish on the run with a hip prob.?.

Probably, I was wearing an Ireland suit with my name on it so I wouldn't be hard to identify. I got to the finish though - my last km took 13 mins:cool:

Probably, I was wearing an Ireland suit with my name on it so I wouldn't be hard to identify. I got to the finish though - my last km took 13 mins:cool:

Have you now :), i came out of t2 with you side by side, and you were flying, but i did pass you at he top of the hill at the left turn, then i got a stich on the min road heading back into town again and had to walk where you passed me again, i was the one who asked you were you alright and what happened, i was in a Carrick tri club suit,
    Sorry to hear about the injury, hope its not to serious

Ceepo

Ceepo wrote: »
    Have you now :), i came out of t2 with you side by side, and you were flying, but i did pass you at he top of the hill at the left turn, then i got a stich on the min road heading back into town again and had to walk where you passed me again, i was the one who asked you were you alright and what happened, i was in a Carrick tri club suit,
    Sorry to hear about the injury, hope its not to serious

Ceepo

Yeah I remember, you were flying after you passed me - hope the stitch didn't hold you up too much. My internet browsing suggests iliopsoas tendonitis but will hopefully get to a physio in the next day or two. No Kilkee for me anyway:( hopefully next time we meet we'll both be fully fit!

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember, you were flying after you passed me - hope the stitch didn't hold you up too much. My internet browsing suggests iliopsoas tendonitis but will hopefully get to a physio in the next day or two. No Kilkee for me anyway:( hopefully next time we meet we'll both be fully fit!

Hard to say what time was lost really, but i thnk i would have caught AF, if that was the case would have been 10 places :eek: ah wel i live to fight another day.

Keep away from Doctor Google, or you will have all sorts of problems, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I was marshalling yesterday just at the transition entrance (the one with the annoying whistle) and I was really impressed with the level of camaraderie by all racing yesterday.

Well done to all who participated and continue to make our race a success.

I'm going to bring the focus off drafting, onto the positive improvements that were made for this race. Having a Tri club that listens to feedback (from last year), and acts on it to make this years race better, is the sort of thing that enhances Triathlon in general. I've listed a few of the positive changes I noticed; anyone care to add any more?

Swim
    Last year a number of people were unsure which side the 3rd bouy should be on. I also seem to recall the bouys might have been different sizes last year? Anyway, no problems at all yesterday; clear directions, large yellow bouys (and no yellow swim caps!;)) made sighting easy. The two bouys on the beach made it obvious just where landfall should happen (useful for the run up the cliff)

Trans
    I thought it was well organised and well marshalled. Large clear signs indicating Bike/Run exit points, neutralised from Swim entry.

Bike
    Good road surface, a bit congested (I was in 2nd wave), but thats an indication of the populatity of the race. Most drivers seemed to heed they were sharing the road with a bike race. Very clear instructions beforehand from Eamonn T on what constitutes a draft box; the fact that so many chose to ignore this and cheat can't be blamed on Waterford Tri, or on TI, who can't be expected to have multiple MO's. Junctions well marshalled, dangerous bends clearly and loudly flagged. Ditto mount/dismount lines were clearly and loudly indicated.

Run
    I seem to recall there were no km markers last year (?). Anyway, clear markers this year made the (unusual) 7km route easier to pace for those of us who race without garmins. Water available (glad of it on the hot day!). A good atmosphere at the finish line, crowds there lining the last 500m, and plenty of water and bananas afterwards.

Overall this is one of the best-organised races I've been at. FWIW its a nice tshirt too;) and the food back at the Spinnaker was top notch. Well done Waterford Tri- you even organised smashing weather again!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I'm going to bring the focus off drafting, onto the positive improvements that were made for this race. Having a Tri club that listens to feedback (from last year), and acts on it to make this years race better, is the sort of thing that enhances Triathlon in general. I've listed a few of the positive changes I noticed; anyone care to add any more?

Swim
    Last year a number of people were unsure which side the 3rd bouy should be on. I also seem to recall the bouys might have been different sizes last year? Anyway, no problems at all yesterday; clear directions, large yellow bouys (and no yellow swim caps!;)) made sighting easy. The two bouys on the beach made it obvious just where landfall should happen (useful for the run up the cliff)

Trans
    I thought it was well organised and well marshalled. Large clear signs indicating Bike/Run exit points, neutralised from Swim entry.

Bike
    Good road surface, a bit congested (I was in 2nd wave), but thats an indication of the populatity of the race. Most drivers seemed to heed they were sharing the road with a bike race. Very clear instructions beforehand from Eamonn T on what constitutes a draft box; the fact that so many chose to ignore this and cheat can't be blamed on Waterford Tri, or on TI, who can't be expected to have multiple MO's. Junctions well marshalled, dangerous bends clearly and loudly flagged. Ditto mount/dismount lines were clearly and loudly indicated.

Run
    I seem to recall there were no km markers last year (?). Anyway, clear markers this year made the (unusual) 7km route easier to pace for those of us who race without garmins. Water available (glad of it on the hot day!). A good atmosphere at the finish line, crowds there lining the last 500m, and plenty of water and bananas afterwards.

Overall this is one of the best-organised races I've been at. FWIW its a nice tshirt too;) and the food back at the Spinnaker was top notch. Well done Waterford Tri- you even organised smashing weather again!

The Buoys yesterday wee great and a big improvement on last year. WTC got some local business to sponsor these I think.

On the run course the markers were good - correct there were none last year.

The bike course was too congested though - ideas above on sorting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Podge83 wrote: »
    The Buoys yesterday wee great and a big improvement on last year. WTC got some local business to sponsor these I think.

AFAIK they actually purchased them from last years race funds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

+1 on the Tshirt, best one I've gotten yet, it's too good to be added to my gym kit.

Anyone else find this race tougher than most sprints?

I Stuffed my face in ther farmers market on the Sunday; there was lots going on in the village for the whole weekend and there was a great buzz about the place. Definitely in my diary for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Am looking forward to this Saturday - first triathlon (apart from an indoor one a year ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

niallo32 wrote: »
    Am looking forward to this Saturday - first triathlon (apart from an indoor one a year ago)

It's a good one! Looks like weather will be good too. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement