Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for renting 1 bedroom in D1/D2. Help!

Options
  • 25-02-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are now looking for a 1 bedroom Apt in D1 or D2 area.
    The problem is not that we can't find anything we like. The problem is whenever I find something I'm interested and message them immediately, I've barely got any replies. Or like 2 hours later I would get an email saying it's already been let. I'm basically on daft.ie like every 30 mins. It's so frustrating!! Since our salaries are like 25 to 27K. We are looking somewhere from 800 to 1200 depends on the condition of the apt. My bf works in AIB n I work in a tech company in the city center. We've also got work/landlord references ready. I just don't know why I barely get any replies from the agency or landlord. Any tips of at least to get to the viewing or where else I can go to ? Thanks so much!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

why are you messaging them? Call them...its the only way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xorrox

why are you messaging them? Call them...its the only way!

I know, if there's a number I would call straight away. But most of the time no one picked it up, or just straight to voice mail. And sometimes they don't leave any numbers and said email to book viewings only!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well unfortunately thats the way it is at the moment. You just got to keep calling. Thats the level of demand...800-1200 in city centre wont give you too many options I would imagine anyway to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

It's a seller's market at the moment. You'll probably have to up your price range a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have you tried calling into agents with your refs and requirements ? There is a total 'hidden market' of property available that never gets advertised on Daft because the agent has a list of people who he's know are after the type of property he's renting. You need to get on as many of those lists as possible because at the moment there is a huge supply shortage in Dublin city cente, on Daft there are only 20 1beds for rent in all of Dublin 1, half of them are kips or in dodgy areas and the other half look they badly need a renovation. So what is happens now is all you ever really see is the dregs coming up on Daft- the better places are rented without even the need to advertise them. In this scenario the estate agents are vital to know and to remind every now and again.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have you tried calling into agents with your refs and requirements ? There is a total 'hidden market' of property available that never gets advertised on Daft because the agent has a list of people who he's know are after the type of property he's renting. You need to get on as many of those lists as possible because at the moment there is a huge supply shortage in Dublin city cente, on Daft there are only 20 1beds for rent in all of Dublin 1, half of them are kips or in dodgy areas and the other half look they badly need a renovation. So what is happens now is all you ever really see is the dregs coming up on Daft- the better places are rented without even the need to advertise them. In this scenario the estate agents are vital to know and to remind every now and again.

Thank you so much!!! That is super helpful...I will try to google some of those agents then. By the way any suggestions on where I can get the list? Google is good enough?? Thanks again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

As most EAs are time wasters in my experience I would keep an eye out for private let accomadation (landlords doing it themselves not through an estate agency), ring directly to arrange a viewing,, say you are Irish professionals,,

There is a real shortage of rental property in Dublin so you have to up your budget to about 1100 or 1200 but I would think about a house share, it would obviously mean sharing but you have alot more choice,, you could get a nice house and maybe with one other person (I shared with a girl from Meath who went back there most weekends, so it was grand.

The other obvious choice is to get outside the city somewhere along the Luas or Dart and commute..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Go around the blocks you are interested in and leave a notice inside up near the entrance. There are notice boards in most apartment blocks. Some landlord passing in to have an apartment cleaned out may see you notice and call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Go around the blocks you are interested in and leave a notice inside up near the entrance. There are notice boards in most apartment blocks. Some landlord passing in to have an apartment cleaned out may see you notice and call you.
    If doing this, use a phone with a temp sim card/email, so you can get rid of it when you get the apartment. Also so that random people don't have your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

I got a beautiful 1 bed in D2 (having missed out on loads that I was interested in) by calling the EA as soon as the apartment was advertised, telling him I would meet him immediately at the apartment to pay him the deposit and first month's rent, and give him my references from previous landlord and employer.

Unfortunately, I think with the market we're in, if you hesitate at all, someone else will snap it up.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! I think I kinda have an idea what to do now! :)

Advertisement