Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does making a late application affect your chances of entry?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying to the CAO (or at least I will be when it opens again on march 5th).

Obviously I will be making a late application. I am intending to apply for Dentistry and actuarial science courses and as far as I am aware none of them are restricted entry. I am a mature student being 27 (but will not applying on the grounds of mature entry, rather my A-level results, since the deadline for mature entry has now passed, I rang and confirmed I am allowed to do this despite being 27).

I just want to know, since I am a student from up North, does making a late application affect your chances of getting accepted onto the course?

In the UK, the UCAS system I think penalises or at least discredits your application somewhat if you apply late, in that priority does go to candidates who applied on time (I think).

Is this same as the CAO in the south? I know I have to pay more being a late applicant (50 euro I think) but are there any other disadvantages by applying this late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No, you have the same advantage as anyone who applied prior to February. Places aren't "given out" until the Leaving Cert results are issued. As long as they aren't restricted courses (which you said they weren't) you will be grand.

Advertisement