Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade?

Options
  • 24-02-2014 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi Folks,

When I moved into my house eight years ago there was a Baxi Bermuda 50/6 back boiler.

I have no idea if this is past it's best before date but I am astonished at how much heat escapes up the chimney. I am wondering if this category of boiler one that is considered worth replacing?

Reading these forums I can see there are many differing views on the merits of spending €2500 upgrading your boiler.

My fuel consumption for the last 12 months was 18196kWh according to Bord Gais.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Tostao

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

hard to be specific without some information on the size of the house and the number of occupants and things like showers are they electric or do they run off hot water from the tank.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

Thanks for the response Irish Steve. It's a 3-bed semi (approx 95 sqm).

It has an attic conversion. 2 adults, 2 kids and two electric showers (switch so only one active at a time.)

Tostao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

tostao1014 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

When I moved into my house eight years ago there was a Baxi Bermuda 50/6 back boiler.

I have no idea if this is past it's best before date but I am astonished at how much heat escapes up the chimney. I am wondering if this category of boiler one that is considered worth replacing?

Reading these forums I can see there are many differing views on the merits of spending €2500 upgrading your boiler.

My fuel consumption for the last 12 months was 18196kWh according to Bord Gais.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Tostao

It's always a good idea to upgrade from a back boiler , very inefficient , and if it has a permanent pilot light it's even worse .not to mention they are potentially lethal if not maintained correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

Thanks, funny you touched on something there. We had a boiler service a number of years back. The guy that came out didn't fill me with confidence at the time.

The next time a service came up the engineer, from a different company was horrified to see the unit was not sealed and had been leaking gas for God knows how long. He put a order on that had our gas turned off until Bord Gais came out.

We could have all been killed, the engineer said the issue was most likely due to the previous guy but it was impossible to say 100%.

Tostao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

tostao1014 wrote: »
    Thanks, funny you touched on something there. We had a boiler service a number of years back. The guy that came out didn't fill me with confidence at the time.

The next time a service came up the engineer, from a different company was horrified to see the unit was not sealed and had been leaking gas for God knows how long. He put a order on that had our gas turned off until Bord Gais came out.

We could have all been killed, the engineer said the issue was most likely due to the previous guy but it was impossible to say 100%.

Tostao

I can never understand most engineers lack of ability when it comes to back boilers. Once the fire is removed they are very basic . Personally the area I work doesn't have a lot if them , I maybe service 10 max a year , but I make sure those 10 are done properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement