Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Limerick for foreigners

Options
  • 24-02-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Is it possible to find a job in Limerick if I'm a foreigner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You should change the thread title to "Is it possible to find a job in Limerick?"

Are you serious or is this the strat of a troll thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doncor

seachto7 wrote: »
    You should change the thread title to "Is it possible to find a job in Limerick?"

Are you serious or is this the strat of a troll thread?

Im serious. Btw , its not actually about just finding, the key phrase was "for a foreigner"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Someone's nationality should have nothing to do with their fitness to perform a job.

An File wrote: »
    Someone's nationality should have nothing to do with their fitness to perform a job.

I also have no irish citizenship nor EU citizenship, however, currently living in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Where you from, what you do?

• Advertisement

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Where you from, what you do?

I was born in ukraine, so i have its citizenship, now i live in poland and also studying here ad's science. I might move to ireland to take a part in students exchange there, and id like to work during summer vacations after it

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I'll leave it to the experts, maybe get a student visa, think you can work 20 hours a week on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

my other half. experienced horticulture and retail has applied for over 250 jobs since being here from october 2012. Still no luck. I struck 'lucky' and got a job at a supermarket, 20 hours a week last April. I've carried on looking for full time but no luck there. even with a degree and 15 years experience. We're English, but I have Irish parent and extended family here. Most of my cousins my age are abroad to find suitable work and experience. There seems to be a wave of jobs come up around march/april, the start of the tourist season if youre looking in service sector - if you don't catch a job then, it seems you miss out = with a slim chance again for temp work at Christmas. Good Luck!

Seems like the situation on a job market isnt the best, but id better try, if got an exchange there.
    PS: what kind of a degree you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noonan23

Doncor wrote: »
    Seems like the situation on a job market isnt the best, but id better try, if got an exchange there.
    PS: what kind of a degree you have?

If you get a job because of a degree now it's worth about 50 euro extra a week on top of your 188 dole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Citizens Information have a handy website if you're looking for free advice from a state board. Covers everything really.

http://citizensinformation.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

noonan23 wrote: »
    If you get a job because of a degree now it's worth about 50 euro extra a week on top of your 188 dole.

I know things are quite tough right now but I still think that is a very broad statement.

For example, the job market for people with a degree in Finance, Languages or IT is really picking up at the moment.

im fluent in 3 another languages except english but dont have a degree in it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Doncor wrote: »
    im fluent in 3 another languages except english but dont have a degree in it :(

Are you saying that you are also fluent on English?

Are you saying that you are also fluent on English?

Well, yes, i think so, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The fact you are on here and writing in English tells me you are fluent enough. Don't worry about not having a degree in it.

The problem comes with a job where you might have to communicate via email with people. That's where the 100% fluency would come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

As a Ukranian national you could only work here with a work permit
    see here
    http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/index.htm

Advertisement