Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alright class, settle down...

Options
  • 24-02-2014 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/29421/doctor-who-new-series-8-regular-announced
    samuel_anderson_full.jpg
    The BBC has announced a new recurring character for Doctor Who's eighth series: Clara's Coal Hill School colleague, Danny Pink.

The History Boys and Gavin & Stacey actor Samuel Anderson is to play the role of teacher Mr Pink

Reason for running away in the TARDIS: Unable to cope with student mockery.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An old Doctor, accompanied by two young teachers from Coal Hill School? Nope. I don't see the link, nuh-uh.

I do wonder though if this is more evidence the scripts will push more of the action-centric plotting into Clara & Danny's lap; let the two young 'uns do the running about while Capaldi's scares everyone else in the room...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Being a watches and timepieces type, I did notice he's wearing a military issued type watch and with a NATO/G10 strap. Bowties aint cool :p but NATO straps are(though his looks way too new and pristine. Newb). Ecclestone sported what looked like a Cartier tank as his watch. Fancy. Tennant I can't recall, beyond the weirdo soulcatcher pocketwatch and Smith IIRC had some US made Wyler minus a winding crown, well he is a timelord, so... Oh yes, that's how geeky I am. Represent. *folds arms*. :D:o

PS what odds that he was in the shortlist to be the new Doc?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Anyone know how good of an actor he is? Haven't seen any of his previous work myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone else think
    Clara's new boyfriend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone else think
    Clara's new boyfriend?
    Nah. Too easy and too similar to the previous pairing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Danny the boyfriend? Hmm, yeah definitely too easy and cliché, and like aidan_walsh says it'd be coming too soon after Rory and Amy; it'd just invite comparisons with that already beloved couple & Clara's not exactly a popular companion to begin with.

All sorts of possibilities exist, but considering the crew's already resembling one from yesteryear, how about taking inspiration from another and making Danny a sleeper agent, or a guy with an agenda ala Turlough? I always thought that was a very underrated era from the Classic Series, and having an antagonist among everyone could be a good way to create some tension across the series without using artificial stakes and external threats.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Danny the boyfriend? Hmm, yeah definitely too easy and cliché, and like aidan_walsh says it'd be coming too soon after Rory and Amy; it'd just invite comparisons with that already beloved couple & Clara's not exactly a popular companion to begin with.

All sorts of possibilities exist, but considering the crew's already resembling one from yesteryear, how about taking inspiration from another and making Danny a sleeper agent, or a guy with an agenda ala Turlough? I always thought that was a very underrated era from the Classic Series, and having an antagonist among could be a good way to create some tension across the series without using artificial stakes and external threats.

Something along those lines would be interesting. I've always wanted to see more episodes take place within the TARDIS itself, so something like you've suggested would allow for more of that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

What?!?! I'll have you know she's extremely popular in my house.....

blastman wrote: »
    What?!?! I'll have you know she's extremely popular in my house.....

I like Clara myself, but there's a lot of people out there who didn't take to her, for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like her too TBH. Then again I liked Rose, so... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I like her way, way more than Amy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I really like Clara (and Donna), as they are quite capable of putting the Doctor in his place without getting all Amy aggressive about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I had difficulty warming to Clara, because I really, really liked Rory. And I guess that red-headed girl who hung out with him was ok too. Liked her by the end though. And looking forward to her and Capaldi having a totally new dynamic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I like her a lot. She hasn't had massive pints of character development yet, but we've got a lot of insight into her personality. I think just like the Doctor viewing her as a puzzle rather than a person, we were distracted from getting to know her properly. On second viewing of the last series, she really shines. Love her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

All sorts of possibilities exist, but considering the crew's already resembling one from yesteryear, how about taking inspiration from another and making Danny a sleeper agent, or a guy with an agenda ala Turlough? I always thought that was a very underrated era from the Classic Series, and having an antagonist among everyone could be a good way to create some tension across the series without using artificial stakes and external threats.

Yeah a good idea, though I think Clara is a better candidate for sleeper agent as stuff has been laid down already that could be used to suport this.
    Remember she ends up a Dalek!
    Just spoilered that last bit in case anyone is just catching up.

Clara is my favourite.

Then again, I've had a crush on Jenna Coleman since her Emmerdale days, so I'm biased.

Advertisement