Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon bikes on car racks

Options
  • 24-02-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Saving up the last few months to make the switch from my trusty alu road bike to a mid-range carbon. been transporting my current bike using a buzz-rack on the car for the last couple years. anyone know if its safe enough to continue doing so with a carbon frame or would you do anything different in racking one on the back of a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I heard recently (on boards i think??) that using the car racks with carbon bikes loads the frame in ways there not ment to be loaded. That said ive never heard of anyone having problems with carbon bikes due to that.

I used to always do it but stopped because I found the car rack thing with the straps too figity and awkward so know it just goes upside down on the back seat with the seatbelt around it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I have mine on the roof mounted by the front fork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think you would be fine using a rear rack. Maybe just wrap the contact points (where frame will contact the rack or indeed anything else) with some cloth or protective plastic so as to avoid damage to the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Your carbon bike goes on the car back seat...wife and kids go on the rack! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

07Lapierre wrote: »

No they stay at home cleaning and cooking for you and practicing how best to serve you beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

07Lapierre wrote: »

and same procedure, wrap contact points in socks etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Been carrying mine around on a hitch rack for the last year, no problems with it. Ironically, the only bit of damage to the paint on my bike was from being transported in the car, not on the rack.

my buzz rack has been great in carrying 2 road bikes around the country but then it doesn't bother me too much re: alum frames taken a bit of a knock in transit. its a whole other thing strapping up a brand new carbon frame. reckon ill have to invest in some insulation piping or bubble wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Sorry to resurrect this but just realised by carbon defy advanced won't fit on my bike rack. The top tube doesn't fit on or in the holder near the stem .

The bike has been going in back seat since I got it but we are bringing the dog with us tomorrow .

How am I going to tell the wife she needs to get another lift so dog can go in front seat can bike in the back seat. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sometimes you have to get creative and use the bit under the fork if the bike is not fitting normally.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to get creative and use the bit under the fork if the bike is not fitting normally.

It's very wide there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Raam wrote: »

I've had to do that with a mates bike a few times when going to races. His new bike just doesn't fit on the bike rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

shaka wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this but just realised by carbon defy advanced won't fit on my bike rack. The top tube doesn't fit on or in the holder near the stem .

The bike has been going in back seat since I got it but we are bringing the dog with us tomorrow .

How am I going to tell the wife she needs to get another lift so dog can go in front seat can bike in the back seat. LOL

Are you fond of old silent films, picture and no sound?? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

I invested in a thule rack that goes on the towbar , the bike wheel sit on it and are strapped in and then another padded bar from the thule straps to the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

jamesd wrote: »
    I invested in a thule rack that goes on the towbar , the bike wheel sit on it and are strapped in and then another padded bar from the thule straps to the frame.

I have one of these as well. An expensive option if you dont have a towbar, but, really the best option (imho) for carrying bikes without damaging them (unless someone crashes into the back of you). The bikes are strapped down by the wheels, and you can strap them to the padded bar jamesd mentions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

and same procedure, wrap contact points in socks etc :D

Get yourself some 1 inch pipe insulation, perfect for protecting the bike (you can actually use it all over the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

GreeBo wrote: »
    Get yourself some 1 inch pipe insulation, perfect for protecting the bike (you can actually use it all over the bike

@shaka.

Wife drives, dog in front seat.

You on bike.

Repeat on way back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

GreeBo wrote: »

Thats actually what I do, I use cable ties to pierce though the pipe insulation and tie pieces of it to various parts of the bike frame. Then I use more cable ties to pull the bike to the frame so it cannot move.

Bikes survived a number of trips to Kerry from Louth with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Saris do one that doesn't need a tow hitch for carbon frames. The bike sits vertically and doesn't obscure any lights or number plate. Would be cheaper than getting a tow hitch and hitch mounted rack

http://www.saris.com/product/gran-fondo

:eek:those saris rigs aint cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

shaka wrote: »
    It's very wide there too.

Take the front wheel off, then put the downtube on top of the rack bar.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's a company car and at present wife not allowed drive due to being on a loaner. Anyway we are heading to west cork this evening and I'd never be down before dark so cycling definitely not an option :(

My problem solving will be put to full use this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Well if its a company car just throw a blanket on the roof and ratchet strap the bike down onto it :P

Bike went in back seat, all 35 kg of Irish water spaniel sat in the front with the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Straight forward question..... After a bad day on the bike at tour De kk..... Replies here gave me a good laugh!!!!!

Advertisement