Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage Situation ?

Options
  • 24-02-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

What is the silage situation with you and in your area?
    Silage plentiful or scarce?
    Do you think you'll have to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

BalingMad wrote: »
    What is the silage situation with you and in your area?
    Silage plentiful or scarce?
    Do you think you'll have to buy?

Enough to do 2 weeks into April in silage.
    Surely were gonna get the chance to let some stock out by then. Also managed to save some hay so that is currently being used on and offf to spare the silage.
    Most people down here should be ok id say. Please god we all will. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

All good here, plenty made , if we are in trouble God help the rest of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Good bit of silage spare/for sale around these parts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

I have plenty here until the 1st of may if they were to be kept in full time until then which I hope they wont.

the thing is that anybody that runs out will have trouble finding some to buy because there are no reserves and anybody with some spare will likely keep onto it for future bad years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Wont need to buy in bar another spring like last yr, I'll be flogging on about 15culls if it came to this in any case. But not a bit for sale around here anyways, with the drought last summer, lads were feeding when they should have been making 2nd and 3rd cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Could be a late spring too with all the Rain its making. It will take 3 weeks of drying before it could be called spring and theirs still no sign that its going to stop anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

Fodder is scarce here in north wexford but if we get anything like a descant spring most should get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Just looking at DoneDeal lots of silage bales for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Fodder is scarce here in north wexford but if we get anything like a descant spring most should get by.

+1 to that. Have enough to Patrick's day. Have a man who has loads left told me he can help me with about 80 bales and he won't lift me out of it on price either. He is keeping them if I don't need them so no worries about having to make my mind up too soon. Wirh the weather I reckon I will need them but have good grass covers in some paddocks and despite all the rain managed to get slurry out last friday and saturday without doing any damage. A good week would leave things looking very different about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

We have enough till mid may if necessary. Selling a few bales to neighbours that are running tight. Very little silage for sale in west cork. Got a call from a lad 8 miles away at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

Enough to the first of April between grass and maize. Cows out for a few bits of days started to do too much damage, definitely back in after the rain last night. Slurry a problem can only spread on stubble, doing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

should have 40 to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

98 bales that I will not touch I'd say
    Plenty of pit silage I want to use because it is the last year I will make a pit.
    To much hassle covering on my own and tanks filling up with soiled water too fast.
    I had some left over fr last year

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Have enough until mid march at a push was feeding a bit of meal up until last week and have stopped, as i was hoping to put the money towards fertilizer and get grass growing if the weather ever takes up, i'm not going to get caught like last year if the grass aint growing i will be selling some stock and not trying to feed them through

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

feartuath wrote: »
    98 bales that I will not touch I'd say
    Plenty of pit silage I want to use because it is the last year I will make a pit.
    To much hassle covering on my own and tanks filling up with soiled water too fast.
    I had some left over fr last year

Interesting you are saying this about Pit silage i was thinking of going to all bales aswell, mainly because of the soiled water problem too, the silage slab is old and wearing away and would need a full revamp with different water channels etc which i'm not to sure about doing yet because i could be changing things around again in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Well, how we all looking now?

Have about 2 weeks of pit left and 35 bales as backup which will last about 10 days. Starting to horse out the nuts to cattle to spare the silage a bit. No growth yet so not looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

ya ive till april with silage pit and 50 bales of neighbour if needs be, weather forecast isnt looing great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What alternatives are out there? Soya hulls? Anything else? I should be ok, only afew ft of the better quality silage for the milkers, however I'd rather not feed that to them in anycase, so will be looking for an alternative if I need to slow down the spring rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Timmaay wrote: »
    What alternatives are out there? Soya hulls? Anything else? I should be ok, only afew ft of the better quality silage for the milkers, however I'd rather not feed that to them in anycase, so will be looking for an alternative if I need to slow down the spring rotation.

Im feeding maize meal and wholecrop to milkers. 70 cows eating 1.3 tonnes wholecrop and 2.5 kg of maize meal plus molases plus a bit in the parlour. Last week I had 500kg to a tonne of silage with that. When they get into decent covers of grass they slow down quickly on silage.

Advertisement