Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip K. Dick And H.P. Lovecraft

Options
  • 24-02-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭

I've been wanting to get into their work for ages now and I finally got around to buying Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sleep? but have yet to read it.

Are there any other of Phillip K. Dick's novels that you'd recommend for me to check out? Also, where do you think the best place would be to start with H.P. Lovecraft?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Haven't ever read Lovecraft although I've been meaning to. Ubik and The Man in the High Castle are two must reads for Philip K Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

After 'Do androids...' my favourite P.K. Dick is 'A scanner Darkly', a lot of his friends died young of overdose or complications related to their drug abuse so it's quite a personal and visceral account of addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

For PKD, liked Androids, A Scanner Darkly, Ubik, Martian Time Slip, and Galactic Pot Healer, all for different reasons. A special mention for his short story, Second Variety, which formed the basis for the movie Screamers.

For HPL, a lot of his work is in the short story to novelette range. Liked Call of Cthulu, Shadow over Innsmouth, Herbert West Re-animator, The Horror at Red Hook, The Mountains of Madness, and The Colour out of Space.

There's a really good (BBC I think) production of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, I'll post back if I can find a link. Doesn't seem to be on the BBC site anymore, but it is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJiSK3KW628

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

I have yet to read Lovecraft, though I have been meaning to. The only Dick book I have read is Androids, and I quite enjoyed that and I'm gonna start on A Scanner Darkly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

Shadows out of Time or the Dunwich Horror are my favourite Lovecraft stories. I also listen to hppodcraft.com .
    It's great and i'm sure you could get some good recommendations and info from there and the great thing about Lovecraft is all his stuff is out of copyright so you can just download it for free if you have a reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Forgot about Dunwich Horror. Another good one. Not sure if have read Shadows out of Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 helloiamoxygen

Funny, I went on a book buying spree last week and PKD's "The Man in the High Castle" was one I picked up and was also the first I choose to read. I'm about half way through this book, and it's really good, reads really well. I would recommend it for sure. It has the "don't wanna put it down factor". Great characters, clever, insightful... Good Author. Glad to have "found" his stuff. Will be looking out for more.

Another good thing is a lot of his books have been made into films, so after you read them, you can also watch the movies. You can either enjoy the movies or scoff at them, such value!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 1,2 & 3 are a pretty comprehensive collection of his stories. The third is my favourite, this one...http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/68842.H_P_Lovecraft_Omnibus_3

The covers are a bit misleading on all three of these particular editions, gore and tits etc., seein as there's little of both in his stuff. This one is altogether more classy...

http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-Commemorative/dp/0575081570/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395765141&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+lovecraft+necronomicon

Advertisement