Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing (and slightly downgrading from) an S3

Options
  • 24-02-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, after two years of literally being my best friend, my S3 has packed in. First it developed a mind of it's own when I plugged in a headset or headphones. Then it disabled the microphone so people couldn't hear me talk. Then it stopped taking pictures. Finally, on Saturday, the screen turned bright green with pink lines through it and by Sunday the screen showed signs of being smashed (despite being in a protective case, held only by me and me having no idea what it was smashed against).

I thought about repair, but since I am out of warranty I figured I might as well get another phone.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. I'm not planning to buy new, or anything as completely top-of-the-range as the S3 (and certainly not higher). Cex Exchange has a great selection of warrantied second-hand phones and I've always had a fantastic experience dealing with them for electronics, so I've decided to look there. Just wondering what models people would suggest (Android only) for someone who has used an S3. Doesn't have to be Samsung.

All I want is a decent camera (12MP or similar), relatively good response time and ability to run several apps, and again it needs to be an Android phone. I've spent quite a bit on the android market for apps that I love, so I wouldn't like to lose them! The budget is not the issue, plenty of 300 euro phones going for 150 with Cex, so I'm more looking for a recommended make and model and I can take it from there :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Second hand could do the same thing 2 weeks after ya buy it, I'd spend an extra bit and get a new phone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-SIII-Smartphone-Unlocked/dp/B0080DJ6CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393256561&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s3

GS3s are still very current, I'd probably just get another(my current one is giving my trouble but I should be able to do the repair myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ED E wrote: »
    Second hand could do the same thing 2 weeks after ya buy it, I'd spend an extra bit and get a new phone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-SIII-Smartphone-Unlocked/dp/B0080DJ6CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393256561&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s3

GS3s are still very current, I'd probably just get another(my current one is giving my trouble but I should be able to do the repair myself).

I get a warranty with Cex Exchange, I believe it's 6 months and you can pay extra for a full year. I just don't have the price of a new one of that calibre with a baby on the way, and I need a replacement that takes a mini-sim. Just don't see the point in forking out 50 bucks for a cheap Vodafone one that won't be able to run any apps!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're buying second hand then its hard to advise as its very much up to the nick of the unit in question.

Ignore the sim card, adapters are a $1 so you can use any slot you like. Or cut down to micro if needs be(any phone shop will do that for free).

General spec you'll want would be 1.5Ghz dual core or higher and 512mb ram or higher, 1GB if you can get it in budged. NAND storage should also be of high concern as not all apps will move to the SD and if you fill the onboard the phone will just crawl.

Get something with a removable battery so if the current one wears down you can get a replacement and pop it in. That rules out most HTC and Sony phones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

www.fonfix.ie repair the screen for about 140, if your happy with the phone then why change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

jonny24ie wrote: »
    www.fonfix.ie repair the screen for about 140, if your happy with the phone then why change it.

Because it's not just the screen, I can't plug in headphones, take pictures or make/receive calls any more. Likely when all that is repaired as well, I'll have paid the price of a new phone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No all issues are charged at the one price from fonfix so all problems rectified are 140 euro ;)

Advertisement